In stories that follow a three-act structure, which is (usually) your favorite act?

Public poll: As a reader, which act do you like best in the three-act structure?

• I generally like Act III best

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm editing through the third act of my amquerying novel again. While writing and editing this thing, each act poses different problems for me.

Act I: effectively introducing characters and problem (still not hitting the bulls eye)
Act II: Avoiding soggy middle (this was work but I think I'm there).
Act III: Seemed to need action and violence to resolve, (neither of which I am comfortable writing.)

I'm just curious. When you read a novel, or see a movie, is there one act that you prefer over the others? I always gravitate toward act II. I like seeing the characters in their 'new world,' growing and experiencing new things.

But I bet a lot of people like Act III better. Maybe some people really like Act I best, because ... who knows, maybe because it is a new story they're eager to be introduced to. I dunno.

I'm curious if you have a favorite 'act' as a reader, in the three act structure.

Last edited:

brightspark

Registered
Reaction score
It's not really something I've ever considered when I'm reading as a reader. The story sort of takes over and I stop thinking about the mechanics of writing. Generally, though, I do prefer when I've really gotten into the book, so I guess by a process of elimination Act 1 is my least favourite act.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I voted for act 1 mainly because that's what draws me into the story. I won't read the rest if the beginning is bad. Although I would say act 2 is a close second. Either one works.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I always feel like I need to slog through reading act I. It's rare that I'll be hooked into a book on page one. Best case scenario, usually, is I'm willing to give it another page, one more chance.

And if act one succeeds, then in act two i am invested, I know the characters, the hard work of meeting everyone is behind me, and I love it.

Act three--usually feels--I dunno. Like all roads were leading to this place, and the story is soon over, nothing more new to discover, just seeing the ends tied up.

(Though, I've also read more than one book where the first fifty pages were the best written pages, and that's a different experience because the artistry drops off in act II.)

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
I was about to vote for Act III because I love when everything comes together for a satisfying conclusion...but then I thought, what if it doesn't all come together? Endings can be tricky.

So, generally, Act III would be my favorite but I voted for "It depends."

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I can say which act I like best, but for me Act I is most important, because it determines whether or not I keep reading, closely followed by Act III, because I will remember whether or not an ending is satisfying--not is it happy, but does it make sense for the story/characters, and it often determines whether or not I recommend it to others.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If act one doesn't grab me, I probably won't be reading act 2 or 3 to see if I like them better. I have no patience for being bored in a story, so as ap123 said, it's important because it determines whether I am likely to read the rest of the story.

Assuming I liked the book well enough to read the whole thing, it's really hard for me to say. I kind of like the middle, where things are starting to come together, and I'm beginning to get a feel for where everything might end up (I love guessing at the significance of various interactions and choices), but I can't say I like it best overall. Sometimes the third act feels a bit too much like it's running on rails and concluding too quickly, but that depends on the story.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
This is so interesting to see everyone's viewpoint.

I get that 'running on rails' feeling too sometimes, and maybe that's why act III feels a little off to me sometimes. But i also agree that a great third act can feel awesome--can keep a story with you after you finish.

I really like that so many people are saying act I (at least in comments--haven't looked at the poll yet.) I like it, because it helps me think about readers as a group differently.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Never thought about which one I liked the best. Sometimes I am so engaged in the story I don't even notice the change in acts.

Last edited:

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
This was a tough one. I like both Acts I and II mostly. More specifically--as Act I is moving into Act II. I really enjoy the buildup.