Does having a Facebook blog for your book help your sales?

Crunchyhippo

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few other writer's create a Facebook blog solely to try and increase visibility and ultimately, sales for their book. They try and keep it updated, etc, to keep it fresh, but I have no idea if it helps sell their book on Amazon. If people aren't finding your book on Amazon, it stands to reason that they wouldn't find your book on Facebook, either, unless there are alternate ranking mechanisms at work on Facebook.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Facebook has blogs???? I'm not even trying to be funny. Completely serious. Had no idea Facebook had a section for blogging. Is this different from the Facebook stories people post? I know people blog off other sites and share on Facebook. I doubt it will help sales not just because it's FB or whatever but because blogs rarely do anything for book sales.

If people aren't finding your book anywhere you need to advertise and market. You can get more sales posting your books in FB groups than you would a blog.

Waste of time IMO. I'd concentrate on better ways to get sales.

If people want visibility on Amazon they need to try AMS ads. Most authors who are selling anything on Amazon are using AMS ads. They've become a necessity for many authors and the only way many get any visibility in the store now. Organic visibility seems to be out the window at Amazon now.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think the OP means a Facebook Page. People sometimes think of them as blogs because you can create a "Post," but they are not blogs.

People often use a Facebook post to point to a blog post; it's best to direct all social media traffic to a site you control.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I think the OP means a Facebook Page. People sometimes think of them as blogs because you can create a "Post," but they are not blogs.

People often use a Facebook post to point to a blog post; it's best to direct all social media traffic to a site you control.

Ah, okay! ROFL! I've been on FB for years and never heard of Facebook blogs. I thought it might be something new.

Well, if OP means pages then unless they spend money to boost the posts it's a waste of time. Only 1 or 2 people will see a post if you don't spend any dough to increase reach.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The more followers you get on your Facebook page, the fewer of them will see anything you post. They're trying to get you to pay to boost the posts. I only use mine to post basic updates if I have something new and I don't pay them anything.

When I mentioned social media elsewhere to you, I meant things like Twitter, where you can meet new people and not have to pay to be seen.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Despite all the low expectations of Facebook, I'd go ahead and get a page, which means you'll need a profile, too. (The two are separate entities.) It's free, so that takes some of the pressure off.

A Facebook page is just...expected. It's still the most popular form of social media, so that means that when you get some readers, some of them will prefer to find your updates there. Definitely manage your expectations, but also regularly post something related to your books. I've got a scheduler, so I have one or two posts automatically every day--things like quotes from famous fantasy authors, funny memes, pretty internet pics of scenery. All my blog posts automatically post on Facebook as well, and everything that posts on Facebook automatically tweets (make sure you don't do that in the other direction--a dozen tweets in a day are no big deal, but that's kind of overwhelming on a Facebook feed).

It doesn't net me a whole lot, and I don't pay for boosted posts. I think of it mostly as a courtesy to anyone who prefers to get info that way. My advice would be to brand it correctly, set up regular posts to it, and then simply check it every few days or so. It hasn't been worth spending a whole lot of time on, but I wouldn't completely do without it, either.

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
Agree with Cathleen. These days you need them all - Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. You also need to keep your Amazon and Goodreads author pages up to date.
I'm thinking in creating a Pinterest account but I know very little about that platform.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
OP, I think when I checked, you had not claimed your author profile over on Goodreads. You also did not have any activity over there. That would be one (free) place you might consider starting. Goodreads is a place that people often go when they are checking out a book they are considering buying. If I see an inactive author profile or a book without any activity yet... it's a little like purchasing a can without knowing its contents.

You can click on your book and "claim" your profile and follow GR's instructions to set it up. You can also start participating by writing a few reviews of books you like, and blog about what book you're currently working on. You can join Goodreads groups that interest you and if there are groups that your subject matter relates to you can join those to (not to spam... to be a member of and meet people, who may click on your profile, see you wrote a book, and be interested. You get the idea.)

There are also "reading rounds" groups on GR that form from time to time where you can sign up if you are willing to review other books and would like people to review yours. Cathleen has posted links in this thread if you are interested. Good luck.