RIP Pete Shelley

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because of my location whilst growing up and the lack of any "real" music scene (we got a lot of Names in concert but there weren't any smaller venues that supported local or lesser-known musicians; you had to go to Chicago, Detroit, or Indianapolis for anything "serious". Plus, there weren't any supportive radio stations that played anything new, upcoming, or interesting), I never heard many of the punk/New Wave classics until much, much later in life. The Buzzcocks were one of those groups, and their raw energy and drive were certainly infectious. One of my particular favorites is You Say You Don't Love Me, the tone and sadness of the lyrics completely incongruous with the music, making it rather heartbreaking (especially since it hits home too much). RIP, Mr. Shelley.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I missed this post earlier -- I cannot believe Pete Shelley is dead. The Buzzcocks perplexed me: they were impossible. The energy of punk, the urbane image of the mods, and somehow the secret of eternal youth. I think I still picture them as being sixteen, but those sixteen-year-olds who were born with a fifty-year-old's sophisticated outlook.

I saw the Buzzcocks in 1994, and it was one of the loudest concerts I'd ever been to. God, it was great.

Everybody knows the songs from the heyday. But one of my very favourites - with one of the greatest hooks I've ever heard - is from their 1993 album. Here is Alive Tonight.

(The official video clip is visually fab, but I prefer this version of the tune.)

Goodbye, Pete.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, the Buzzcocks. They were a staple of the punk days. I never actually got into them, but I appreciate them as a symbol of the times. And they were good times.

Well RIP, Punkmeister Shelley. Buzzcocks are a legend.