question about genre classification and publishing something memoir-ish

gumandsoda

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! So I usually write fiction -- novels, specifically -- but I have this project that is already written that I am thinking of submitting for publication. I sort of know how this process works with fiction (i.e., query letters to agents or small presses), but is it the same for something that is considered "creative nonfiction" or memoir? Also, this project is NOT fiction, but I MIGHT want to market it as fiction . . . if so, how would I handle that in terms of looking for a publisher? Should I just say that up front, or do I need to decide for sure before I even start pitching it around? Thanks! :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Memoirs are queried like fiction.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Memoirs are sort of queried like fiction. But not completely. If you are writing it as a memoir and not a fictionalized autobio, then the premise part of your query needs to be in first person. Most agents seriously dislike memoir queries to be in third person.

Also, like fiction, you need to have the full manuscript written. But you may also be asked to send a proposal, which will need to include marketing and promotional information, a review of comparative titles, a longer bio than you would put in a query, and a chapter outline, as well as an overview and sample chapters.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gumandsoda

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much! that is really helpful -- I'll be sure to have those additional materials ready as well. :)

Ranen

Registered
Reaction score
Creative nonfiction is in now

Hi! So I usually write fiction -- novels, specifically -- but I have this project that is already written that I am thinking of submitting for publication. I sort of know how this process works with fiction (i.e., query letters to agents or small presses), but is it the same for something that is considered "creative nonfiction" or memoir? Also, this project is NOT fiction, but I MIGHT want to market it as fiction . . . if so, how would I handle that in terms of looking for a publisher? Should I just say that up front, or do I need to decide for sure before I even start pitching it around? Thanks! :)

If it is nonfiction, let it be nonfiction. Nonfiction is really popular these days. Look at film. True stories and based on true stories are successful. If you've published before and have an agent, ask your agent. If you publish as nonfiction, make sure it rings true. Find source material and quote it or display it.

I recently pulished a narrative and it is really catching on. I published my email address and my readers main comments are about the verisimilitude. They love that it really happened.
Kenny Ranen
A Smuggler's Guide to Good Manners