Scene Naming Conventions in Scrivener

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebargdill

Registered
Reaction score
So I have begun (another) novel and am using Scrivener to compose. Normally, I just count the scene index cards in order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. However, this novel seems to want to be written out of order. and I have no idea what order the scenes will finally rest at. Do any of you have any naming conventions for their scenes other than a strict chronological format?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Describe the core point/action/event of the scene in the name: Jane come home, Mary is found, etc.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do what Lisa says. Also, because I edit out of order too, I make notes whether or not I'm happy with a scene, not sure about it, needs a lot or a little bit of editing, deciding between options #1&2 and the like.

A section that needs a lot of work still looks like this:
Returning A XX Brin worries about going home
Returning B This: choices needed Anxious about return to village
Returning C Keeper Has war party {Put this as first encounter] Merge with the hiking prose. Arrival Revised
Notes > keep but move to a different place Brin and Jaan interact
[good but needs revised] Mayer meets the council
>belongs at the arrival I like this intro better
Good Brin's camp, sleeping arrangements.

Later I'll put in the actual chapter titles which are going to be the date and POV for the scene.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I love Lisa's method so much! I'm converting a Word doc over so I mostly use chapter titles, but in my newer Scrivener-native drafts I use key details of a scene (eg 'Character A meets Character B', 'First Kiss' or '[Special Event Name]' for big story events that are clear in my mind from name alone). And I tag with a colour for the POV if it's multi-POV, and inconsistently try to keep scene beats on the corkboard cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.