What to Get for a 3-legged Chihuahua Mix For Xmas

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably end up getting him a PetSmart gift card*, but it would be nice to see what others would suggest. It's his left back leg that's missing, by the way.

Thanks.

*Me and sisters are working on coats for him, but that's less a Christmas gift and more an everyday winter necessity.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greenies? My small dog loves them. They're expensive, so it's not an everyday treat.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If he lives someplace chilly there's this -- there are plenty of types, that's just one seemed chihuahua sized. You can leave them plugged in all the time, they only heat up when someone is laying on them and they max out at a pet-safe temp.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Just one piece of advice. If you get him a food item, don't put it under the tree early.

- Tazlima, who, many years ago, learned the hard way that (duh) dogs can smell dog biscuits right through the wrapping paper, lol.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Elevated food/water dish rack -- dog neck-and-shoulders without a rear leg do a heck of a lot more work stabilizing gait and balance, and will welcome the break.

Skid-free mats on outdoor steps/walkways to prevent bad injuries from minor slips & falls.

They do make foam mattress beds (of varying thickness) for dogs if you think cold/sore joints are in play. They are pricey, but comfy. Or not all that hard to make with some help from an upholstery supply outlet.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I saw that today. I love it. My dogs could use it when I take them for a walk to guard against off-leash dogs that are a danger to us.

As for coyotes, both coyotes and bobcats are neighborhood fauna around here and some of the smallest dogs and a few cats have been killed, including two small dogs in a fenced yard. Coyotes can easily jump 6 ft fences.

I only let my smaller dog out into the backyard at night if the larger dog goes out with her. Behind my backyard is 100+ acre wood.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the dog armor link, here's the site that sales the vests: https://www.coyotevest.com/

On September 2nd 2014 our sweet little girl Buffy was taken by a coyote right in front of us, and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Before we realized what was happening a coyote had grabbed her by the neck, shook the life out of her, and was carrying her away full speed into heavy brush. We never saw Buffy again. Since that day we have been focused on developing products that can help protect other dogs from a similar attack. If we can help save one life we know we have made a difference to that family.
:cry:

That's what happened to my dog only it was an unleashed dog and we did get her out of it's mouth before my dog was killed. But not before she had serious injuries that required $4200 of emergency surgery. It only takes seconds, the big dog or coyote shakes the little dog by the neck that's it only takes seconds to kill.

I'm going to buy something from these people. Between a safety vest and collar and my bear spray maybe I can feel safe walking my dogs again.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that today. I love it. My dogs could use it when I take them for a walk to guard against off-leash dogs that are a danger to us.

As for coyotes, both coyotes and bobcats are neighborhood fauna around here and some of the smallest dogs and a few cats have been killed, including two small dogs in a fenced yard. Coyotes can easily jump 6 ft fences.

I only let my smaller dog out into the backyard at night if the larger dog goes out with her. Behind my backyard is 100+ acre wood.

I lol'd when I saw it, but it's actually very practical (and fierce). Current guy is the first dog I've had where I don't have to worry about them.

OT: We have a little Chi friend who rocks a very sartorial bow tie collar, I don't have a suggestion on where to get one, but a cursory Etsy search should hit paydirt. And then there are always bandanas.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How about getting him a kitten? Doesn't everyone want a kitten for Christmas :hooray:?

Oh, maybe that's just me then.

Does your dog like the water? I'm thinking that a three-legged dog might like swimming, the 'dog paddle' seems to be a front-legs motion, and he wouldn't have to worry about balance. Toys: sticks float, balls float.
That lifejacket might be handy if he gets tired, and the handles could be useful for retrieving him.

And, with a small dog, getting a big kid's paddle pool itself might be fun for him in the summer. You're in Arizona? You probably have a nice, long pool season.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! These are all great suggestions.

Kjbartolotta said:

:roll:I was expect something a bit more badbutt. Still, a coyote-proof vest...

Tazlima said:
Just one piece of advice. If you get him a food item, don't put it under the tree early.

- Tazlima, who, many years ago, learned the hard way that (duh) dogs can smell dog biscuits right through the wrapping paper, lol.

We learned that with our 1st dog. :D At the moment, we're more worried about what he'll do to the tree and the ornaments; he's a chewer and a garbage gut! Nerf darts, dog beds, mealworms, etc., and sometimes he'll chew on his chew toys. Sometimes I joke that he was named Chopper in his previous home because keeps putting his choppers on everything.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, we're more worried about what he'll do to the tree and the ornaments...
By the way, he was a good dog and didn't bother the tree or the ornaments.

Sadly, I wasn't able to get a PetSmart gift card or any of the cool stuff here, so he got a bacon-flavored chew toy instead. *sigh* At least he loves his new toy.