Hey all- New to writers forums, where can I share my work?

Kaeleb

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm Kaeleb, a teenage and self published author. I wrote a few children's books and self published them on amazon, and am currently in the process of talking to a publisher about said books. Lately, though, I've been working on a separate project, a YA fiction novel which isn't complete. My ideal plan is to attempt to get this to a publisher after my children's books get out there, but as this is my first attempt at Young Adult fiction I'm in need of some serious advice and feedback. So is there anywhere I can post this?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
:welcome:

You need 50 posts before you can post anything in Share Your Work (SYW)

But there are many great threads here you can share your input on, so it shouldn't be hard to reach 50.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hey Kaeleb,

as The Second Moon said, we have a Share Your Work section, but you'll need 50 posts before you can put up anything for critique. We had a lot of people drop in, post stuff for crit, then disappear without giving anything back to the community, hence the 50 post rule.

So explore the site, join in conversations, and once you're at 50 posts pop something up. By then hopefully people will have got to understand where you're at with your writing, what you're aiming to achieve, and what sort of thing you write.

As you mentioned you write children's and YA fiction, check out the specific boards for those:

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?11-Writing-For-Kids
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?117-Young-Adult

Glad to have you aboard :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hi there, Kaeleb and welcome!

We have a subforum called Share your Work for exactly that, but you have to have 50 posts before you can make your own threads in there. It's a pretty easy goal to hit. We often recommend you start by giving some critiques of your own in there. It helps you get a feel for how the sharing section of the forum works and gets people aware of you so when you share your own work, they'll be happy to give back.

Your talk about talking with a publisher about your self-published books has me concerned. Typically, unless a self-published book has sold exceptionally well, a good publisher is not interested in it. The thing most publishers want is "first publication rights" which, if a book is already out in the world, are used up. However, there are MANY sketchy publishers who will gladly republish your work, often in exchange for your money and to no benefit to yourself. Yog's Law: Money flows towards the writer, not away from them. Youths and elderly are frequently targets of these places, as well as picture books and kids books. Please, before signing any contracts, use the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks forum to look up the publisher you're talking to. If you don't see them in there, make a thread about the company, and we'll take a look for you. You do not have to pay anyone to publish your work, so if the topic of price to publish or buying copies of your own book comes up, leave immediately.

Last edited:

Kaeleb

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I'll be sure to be part of the community and get those 50 posts. Maggie, my situation with a publisher is quite weird- Cube Kid, an author who writes children's books sold in many countries, recommended me to his american publisher, Andrews McMeel, who are very legitimate, and they are the ones I'm talking to. They actually recommended that I self publish first, so hopefully that's all good. Also, I'm quite aware of the vanity publisher scams, but thank you for looking out for me and for the advice. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.