New

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
I joined about 5 days ago, and have posted on some other threads. I have been writing for a long time but have only just self-published my first novel recently. I've written poetry and short stories too. I have a couple of unfinished novels and I'm working on one of them now. I like writing children's fantasy but am seriously considering writing horror too as I found the scary bits fn my novel so much fun.

I like to hand-write the first draft which 1) shows my age and 2) seems to be the only way I can get fhe initial material down. I can write fast which helps, but I can type up a storm when I need to as well. I can't see myself ever stopping writing as I always seem to have more ideas than I can possibly use. I also enjoy drawing and deliberately executed the cardinal error of using my own drawing for the cover of my book. I don't expect to make money from writing so thought what the hell?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

FlyBird

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on self-publishing your first novel! You also know how to draw, you are very talented!

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Flybird but you haven't seen my drawing yet! But I love doing it nearly as much as writing.

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I could never hand-write my drafts, there'd be too much scribbled out to see anything haha! I've dabbled with a bit of horror and it is indeed great fun, just be careful not to scare yourself if writing alone at night :p

braddow

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! There’s nothing wrong with some good old hand writing. Personally, I find it a little therapeutic, and a break for the eyes. If your handwriting is illegible though...that’s a problem! Lol

When I was in law school I was the only dinosaur hand writing exams. In my later years I caved too and used a computer for some exams. Funny story— I aced every exam I wrote by hand, but the ones I typed...not so much ;)

I highly recommend Eli Roth’s History of Horror on AMC. Won’t help with writing, but dives deep into the themes of horror (and its different subgenres) that really draw us to it...

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I highly recommend Eli Roth’s History of Horror on AMC. Won’t help with writing, but dives deep into the themes of horror (and its different subgenres) that really draw us to it...

What's AMC? Some thing about themes of horror would be fascinating to look at. I can write legibly - I can always read it - fast luckily. I was the same with exams at Uni, handwriting just works for me.

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I could never hand-write my drafts, there'd be too much scribbled out to see anything haha! I've dabbled with a bit of horror and it is indeed great fun, just be careful not to scare yourself if writing alone at night :p

That's damned good advice.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, and best of luck on the horror writing!

Welcome to AW!

braddow

Registered
Reaction score
What's AMC? Some thing about themes of horror would be fascinating to look at. I can write legibly - I can always read it - fast luckily. I was the same with exams at Uni, handwriting just works for me.

Ah, my apologies -- I should have noticed the UK location. AMC is an American TV channel (the same one that showed Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead etc.) Don't know what your TV situation is across the pond, but you could probably find a way to stream it through good old fashioned Google-Fu.

Also, go Arsenal!! ;)

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, my apologies -- I should have noticed the UK location. AMC is an American TV channel (the same one that showed Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead etc.) Don't know what your TV situation is across the pond, but you could probably find a way to stream it through good old fashioned Google-Fu.

Also, go Arsenal!! ;)

After I wrote that, I thought it must be a US platform. I'll try hunting for it other ways. I'm an Aussie so never quite got a handle on soccer, but if I had, it would be go Liverpool!

jconnor

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Lolly12.

Yeah writing’s fun. I was rewriting a section where main character meets future best friend at a dance as they dated the same person. Sentence... The deception tangoed at a dance, and it’s swing fell flat in a three way.

Hopefully yours won’t.

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks joconnor, that all sounds very complex.