Stalking issue?

MontyBurr

Registered
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I hope I’m asking this in the appropriate location. As you can see, I’m fresh fish. I have an innocent question:

I tinker with stats. Can someone explain why 71% of those with the most posts declare their location as someplace other than an actual location? (I.E. “Out behind the barn”, “Somewhere in Cyberspace” etc.) Is this a harmless affectation or is there a stalking issue of which I’m not aware?

Are there Strunk and White ninjas out there waiting to pounce on those who use the Oxford comma?

Good prepositions to you,

Monty

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People doing internet is all it is. I wouldn't worry about it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helix. said:
Dude are you stalking me? Again?

ETA: (She's not stalking me. We just have the same timezone. We barely know each other.)

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
My location says I'm in Melbourne, BUT WHAT IF I'M NOT REALLY IN MELBOURNE?? (Disclaimer: am really in Melbourne. )

I hope I’m asking this in the appropriate location.

Random, but I found this hilarious given the context. (In my defence, it's freaking hot here [wherever "here" is] and I just exercised because I'm an idiot. There's a chance my brain's not working on all cylinders right now).

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Helix. said:
Dude are you stalking me? Again?

ETA: (She's not stalking me. We just have the same timezone. We barely know each other.)

We're in different timezones, aren't we? You and Be Frank are in the future.

ETA: What's happening with the quotes?

Last edited:

MontyBurr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I'll be changing my profile to reflect that I'm "Under The Tables Down At Mory's"

It seems the proper thing to do.

Monty

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
My location says I'm in Melbourne, BUT WHAT IF I'M NOT REALLY IN MELBOURNE?? (Disclaimer: am really in Melbourne. )

Melbourne sounds like a made-up place.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I have been stalked by a person I upset at a website I moderated at the time. Two of us made him angry, but I was closer, so he came after me first. He pieced together little bits of my personal life I'd told various people over the years--the weather one Thanksgiving, a play I'd seen, a store I shopped at--and thought he knew right where to find me.

His wife in Georgia sent an email to his entire contact list saying he'd left home without his medications and with his gun. So the first I heard about it was from mutual acquaintances at the chat. At that point it wasn't clear he was looking for me, but I was still leery.

Anyway, he traveled about a thousand miles and got to within about thirty miles of my home. He was in constant contact with people we both knew at the website, seeking more information about me. Apparently when he determined he couldn't find me, he shot himself in a motel.

So yeah, I will never use my actual location online, and I play pretty close to the vest on revealing personal information online in general.

Maryn, scaredy-cat

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have my actual location on here, until I read this article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34775814

I'm not really a "mean" person online, but I do worry sometimes that if I agree to critique someone's work and say the wrong thing about it, they'll hunt me down. But that's mostly because I worry too much about everything. And you never really KNOW someone you meet online. They may seem friendly and perfectly stable, but the smallest thing might make them snap.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
No stalking issues; I just like to play with my location from time to time. I changed it after my last birthday and simply haven't done anything with it since.

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
My location is accurate, just not precise. And yes, I do get stalked by Strunk and White ninjas. "Omit needless words! Omit words! Omit!" It's annoying and I hope they don't find me again.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com