Does anyone have a teacher/mentor that particularly helped with your writing?

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I suppose I owe a lot to a particularly dreadful teacher (believe it or not, she wasn't the worst I ever had, but she definitely cracked the top five). And I'm naming names, because:

1) It was so long ago it doesn't matter anymore and
2) fuck her.

Long story incoming.

Mrs. Warnick. First semester Sophomore Honors English in High School. For reasons I've never been able to determine, she took an intense dislike to me and legitimately had it in for me. I have a dozen stories about this old bitch, but the one I think best illustrates the extremity of the problem was the multiple-choice test.

One day we had a multiple-choice pop quiz. No problem. I'd read the material and the questions were pretty easy. However, when I got mine back, I saw that a handful of my answers, which I was certain were correct, had been marked wrong. I double-checked by comparing with a classmate who had recieved a high grade, and sure enough, I DID have the right answers.

This was early in the semester, before I'd gotten to know the teacher. I assumed it was an honest mistake in the grading, so I went to show her the problem and get it corrected. The classmate came with me. When I pointed out that, for example, we had both answered "C" and she'd marked mine as wrong and my classmate's as right, did she correct the grade? Nope. She looked me square in the face and said, "I changed my mind."

"About which answer was right?"

"Yep."

"But... it's multiple choice."

"Doesn't matter. I changed my mind."

I saw a similar thing in high school with one of the kids in class who would later become my best friend. Dave had had a teacher who used to victimise him in primary school and when he began high school he was glad he would never have to see the bloke again but the teacher transferred to the same school.

At the time I didn’t know about what had happened to Dave in primary school (I went to a different school) and the teacher in question was one of my faves at the time. Then one day I saw my friend say he didn’t know the answer to a question and that teacher literally whaled into him, slapping him all about his head and when Dave curled up into a ball at his desk he just kept hitting him on his back. The entire class just froze, I’d never seen anything like it. And nobody said anything. It went unreported. I only asked Dave about it years later and he didn’t even remember that particular incident, it was just one of many.

I went off that teacher straight away, from hero to villain in the space of a few minutes.

When I went to my 20th anniversary school reunion a few years ago some of the other ‘kids’ were saying how good that teacher had been, and I told them that story because I wasn’t a helpless kid anymore and decided to speak out. I also informed them that that was one of the reasons that Dave hadn’t gone to the reunion and that he never wanted to set foot in that town ever again; it pretty much ruined most of his childhood and the bullying he copped at school from that one teacher (and way too many kids as well) has left its mark upon him. When he was in hospital with blood poisoning a few years ago I used to visit him every day and I asked him why we were friends, seeing as how we had so little in common with one another. “Because you’re one of the only people who has never shit on me.” That’s not a very high bar, hey?

Sorry about the derail, but that story by Tazlima reminded me too much of the toxicity of some people.

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a teacher in my senior year, a creative writing professor at a community college that I was dual enrolled in. The whole class was a review system: everyone brought in work, poetry, shorts, or a skit, everyone commented, and the teacher would review it over the week and return it the next class with notes all in red. He was an older gentleman, and he held nothing back in critique. He was notoriously brutal.

Still in high school, I was the class baby, and I felt it. Everyone else had years of experience on me, even if it was only one. I brought in a short story to read to the class, a framing device of a grandmother telling her grandkids a story to lay out the grounds for a fantasy world I was building and make it a "story".

The teacher loved it. He stood up for me in class when people questioned things that made sense to me. The paper next class was covered in red notes of "this is great" and the like along with a new notes of things to fix. I had beaten the brutality of the red pen. I was good enough. A few classes later, he gave me a copy of his mentor's book, a fantasy story he thought I would like and would inspire me.

I stopped writing when I went to four-year college, but I held onto that story and those notes, held onto the idea that I had talent and could maybe do something with it. When I reread the story a few years ago, it really was awful. Just absolute high-school-level trash. It should have been destroyed by that red pen, but I realized he didn't want to squash a kid's dreams with hard truth. For once, he chose kindness and encouragement over honest critique for a kid who hadn't had time to build up a thick skin, and that kept my dream alive through the next six years when I couldn't and didn't write. I am eternally grateful, and you can bet he's going to get a book dedicated to him in due time.

Daww, what a great story! Reminds me of a university professor I had for a general writing course. During the weeks we covered creative writing, I turned in a piece with a strong speculative element, and when my class critique group read it they weren't sure what to make of it, but my prof gave it a 4.0 with a number of encouraging comments. She was definitely being gentle, and I'm afraid to go back and read it now, because I know it's not going to be pretty, certainly not worth a 4.0. But I still have it, buried in a closet somewhere.

Actually, I suppose I owe a lot to a particularly dreadful teacher (believe it or not, she wasn't the worst I ever had, but she definitely cracked the top five). And I'm naming names, because:

2) fuck her.

Long story incoming.

[...]

If I hadn't made that switch, if I'd stayed in that lousy high school English department for all four years... well, I may well have been completely soured on English as a subject. That's what happened to most of the students who passed through there.

...I only wish I could remember that girl's name. The one who cried for me even though she hated me. I'd like to thank her.

:Wha: Do you have any idea why she had it out for you? The injustice of that made me furious just reading about it, I can't imagine living it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
:Wha: Do you have any idea why she had it out for you? The injustice of that made me furious just reading about it, I can't imagine living it.

I wish I did. There was something about me, throughout my childhood, that attracted bullying from teachers and students alike, as if there were a target painted on my back.

When I was younger, I racked my brains trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, what I could fix about myself to gain the ability to make friends (or at least stop the beatings). My parents were no help. My mother insisted the other kids were just jealous because I was so smart and talented... something even six-year-old me recognized as something only a mother could say with a straight face.

I tried everything I could think of, every after-school-special bit of nonsense, to no avail. By high school, I realized the best I could hope for was to become invisible. I rarely spoke and spent all my free time with my nose in a book. I was the opposite of disruptive, and my grades were fine.

When I went away to college, my mysterious childhood flaw seemed to vanish overnight. For the first time in my life, I actually made some friends, and my social skills have only improved since then.

I still don't know what was so awful about me as a kid, but something definitely rubbed people the wrong way.

Sorry to go so far OT. I hope this doesn't come across as a pity party. A lot of kids have it far worse than I ever did. I was lucky enough to have a good home life with loving, supportive parents, and that's a LOT.

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I did. There was something about me, throughout my childhood, that attracted bullying from teachers and students alike, as if there were a target painted on my back.

When I went away to college, my mysterious childhood flaw seemed to vanish overnight. For the first time in my life, I actually made some friends, and my social skills have only improved since then.

I hope this doesn't come across as a pity party. A lot of kids have it far worse than I ever did.

I’ve seen this too. It used to happen to me at school but I was never really surprised: weird name, too tall and pale and skinny, too bookish, buck teeth, wrong clothes – not unexpected at all. I never knew why my future bestie used to cop it, though. He was a decent athlete and all that, not too smart, but I suppose that he just kind of came across as kind of dopey because he talked a bit slowly (only a bit, but kids hone in on that stuff).

All of that went away when I went to uni, and some of the other kids in my class said the same thing. One girl there had been tormented for her entire life because she wore glasses. She said that uni was the first time that she wasn’t victimised by her peers. She was a lovely lass, and it made me mad that people are treated so badly for things that are beyond their control. I don’t remember thinking of it with regard to myself, I was fully outraged because of the unfairness of her circumstances.

That was actually one of the reasons I left my home town (never to return except for the odd weekend visit), I just didn’t feel like walking down the street and meeting one of the A-holes from my childhood. Yeah, they grow up and turn into adults, but the memories linger and the damage certainly has an effect. I’ve been to class reunions and have reconnected with some of my school friends and we talk about this kind of stuff. These days I sometimes think that I’d like to move back there because I have so much history with some of those people, and not seeing them very often feels like a hole in my life. It’s weird, I’d hardly thought of them in 20+ years and then it’s as if they were never gone. I only knew them as kids but as adults we grew up separately but somehow parallel with our values. We’re actually still interested in one another’s lives.

Hey Tazlima, don’t think of it as a pity party. We’re all moulded by the good things and the bad, and if we’re influenced by good people then we should celebrate them and if there are bad people then a bit of smearing is in order. What happened with your teacher was inexcusably unprofessional on her part and she deserves to be immortalised for her deeds, and where better than in a place that worships writing and knowledge? Talking to you MRS WARNICK BITCHFACE. (We are on your team, Taz.)

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Never really had a mentor. Did have a creative writing teacher my sophomore year of college who really helped me come out of my shell because I was forced to share my work for the first time. We had writing assignments every week and were required to read them to the class. It pushed me and helped build my confidence. I wasn't allowed to procrastinate anymore. Even wrote a short story about it in my first book.

I also worked my first writing job as a freelancer for a newspaper and the editor really taught me about writing journalism as a different style than creative or essay writing. When I first started on this journey I had no idea there were so many different ways to write.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
In the past, but not recently.

In the 90s, I became pen pals with author Janelle Taylor, who gave me many a writing tip and encouragement.

In 2006, I took a creative writing course taught by author Bonnie Hearn Hill. A line of my signature says it all.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score

2) fuck her.

Long story incoming.

Mrs. Warnick. First semester Sophomore Honors English in High School. For reasons I've never been able to determine, she took an intense dislike to me and legitimately had it in for me. I have a dozen stories about this old bitch, but the one I think best illustrates the extremity of the problem was the multiple-choice test.

One day we had a multiple-choice pop quiz. No problem. I'd read the material and the questions were pretty easy. However, when I got mine back, I saw that a handful of my answers, which I was certain were correct, had been marked wrong. I double-checked by comparing with a classmate who had recieved a high grade, and sure enough, I DID have the right answers.

This was early in the semester, before I'd gotten to know the teacher. I assumed it was an honest mistake in the grading, so I went to show her the problem and get it corrected. The classmate came with me. When I pointed out that, for example, we had both answered "C" and she'd marked mine as wrong and my classmate's as right, did she correct the grade? Nope. She looked me square in the face and said, "I changed my mind."

"About which answer was right?"

"Yep."

"But... it's multiple choice."

"Doesn't matter. I changed my mind."

And that was the end of that. The grade remained unchanged. I bristled at the injustice, but what could I do? This woman was determined that, by fair means or foul, I wasn't going to get an A in her class. I went home and griped about how she was mean and unfair, but my parents thought it was a simple case of not liking the teacher and exaggerating for effect.

That was the beginning of a very, very bad semester.

It was another student who finally drew serious attention to the problem. Now this girl and I, we had known each other for years and never gotten along. Seemed like every time we talked, we'd just get into an argument. But we were what you might call amiable enemies, both content to simply ignore the other's existence and carry on with our own separate lives.

This girl. THIS girl, who couldn't stand me... went home crying one day because of how badly I was being treated in class.

Her mother, understandably concerned, called my mother, and my mother finally realized that things really were as bad as I had been saying.

But here's where things got tricky. This was the HONORS teacher, one of only two in the school, and the other one only taught the senior classes, so I had two options:

1) Continue classes with the bitch for three more semesters and accept that she would continue to find ways to lower my grades (and it being English class, most of the work was essays, which she could grade as subjectively as she pleased, even if we tried to call her out on the few multiple choice assignments).

2) Leave the honors track and get good grades in lower-level classes, which had notoriously bad teachers of their own. (My high school had an amazing history department, but the English department was crap).

It felt like either way, the awful teacher would win.

At least, those WOULD have been the only two options if my classmate's mother hadn't proposed a third alternative during that fateful phone call. I was a reasonably smart kid, but her daughter was a freakin' genius - we're talking independent studies in math in middle school smart - and she'd already taken a couple math classes at the local community college. Her mother saw no reason I couldn't do the same thing in English. Why not have me take the placement test and see if I could get enrolled, and just get dual credit to count towards the high school requirements?

And that's the story of how I started taking college English classes at 15 years old.

And because I needed a full 8 semesters of English credits to graduate from high school, I just kept taking more and more English classes at the college, which happened to have a spectacular English department. There wasn't any one teacher who took particular interest in me (apart from the general amusement of having such a young student), but they were all very, very good, and I learned a ton from them, getting straight A's the whole way through.

If I hadn't made that switch, if I'd stayed in that lousy high school English department for all four years... well, I may well have been completely soured on English as a subject. That's what happened to most of the students who passed through there.

...I only wish I could remember that girl's name. The one who cried for me even though she hated me. I'd like to thank her.

Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me. The amount of incompetence among some people in education is stunning. That being said refusing to give you points on a test for something you got right is about as low as it gets. I had a similar experience in 5th grade when I turned in an assignment, the teacher lost it, gave me a zero for it, and when I explained that I had turned it in she yelled at me and said I was lying and need to take responsibility. I was 100% sure I turned it in and to this day, nearly 30 years later, I still remember handing it in.

When I was in ninth grade I was being bullied by a kid next to me in class who would punch me. Our instructor said that I chose to sit next to that student so I was just asking for trouble. Well if I had know I was going to be assaulted I wouldn't have. Way to pass the blame to the victim. When an adult punches another adult it's an assault and the attacker gets arrested. When a kid does it to another kid "it's just part of growing up." What a bunch of bullshit.

I met a guy recently who said that he spent most of his life feeling like he was stupid because a teacher told him he was. It just never seems to end.

Sorry for your bad experience.