Looking for guides/books that teach creating personal anecdotes-based books.

creativitytogo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be very thankful for any suggestion for the bellow-

I am looking for guides(ebooks preferred) that teach how to create/write a personal anecdotes-based book, that will be based on a central theme/concept/premise.

I am looking to find ways and methods to brainstorm myself, for such themes and topics for the book, like:
starting with the obvious major topics, but also being able to recognize untapped topics and stories, within myself, that may be also helpful, especially anecdotes that I experienced in recent times(and less from the past)

The type of anecdotes/theme, that I am willing to include in the book, aren't necessarily about life-changing experiences, but are just fun and interesting to read.

For example:
Let's say that I work in pizza delivery, but I only deliver a single pizza per day, because I live in a small cold town. This may be a source for many anecdotes that I personally experienced, and hopefully, may be entertaining and interesting to read/listen.

Subjects that I am looking to learn about:

Ways and methods to brainstorm myself, that may help me to find anecdotes/topics/themes/ in my own life and from my own life's experiences(recent times preferred)
How to select/shape the best theme and concept, so the book will be more appealing to the readers.
How to create original and innovative themes and topics, so the book will have a chance to stand-out ,and be as original as possible.
Any additional issues about the subject, that I am not aware of, yet.

I read several memoir writing books, but I found it hard to find information about creating such anecdotes-based books, as described above, which aren't necessarily about life-changing experiences, but rather, are just fun and interesting to read(theme/concept-based)

I also read some books about writing nonfiction books, in general(finding topic, research etc), but they didn't cover enough material about anecdotes-based book writing, specifically.

I will be very thankful for suggestion about any guides or ebooks, that teach the above, or as close as possible to the above.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

To be honest, for that type of book, the best thing I've found is reading that type of book. I learned a lot from reading Robert Fulghum's Maybe/Maybe Not and It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It. He's best known for the book about learning stuff in kindergarten, but I think these are the more interesting books.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't you asked this before?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I read several memoir writing books, but I found it hard to find information about creating such anecdotes-based books, as described above, which aren't necessarily about life-changing experiences, but rather, are just fun and interesting to read(theme/concept-based)

I also read some books about writing nonfiction books, in general(finding topic, research etc), but they didn't cover enough material about anecdotes-based book writing, specifically.

Having looked at your post history, creativitytogo, I feel like the energy you're spending looking for *very very specific resources* might be better spent trying to find ways to use the craft advice you're reading in a more general way.

Could you explain what it is about the memoir-writing/nonfiction books (and books you've read for previous threads, like Save the Cat hopefully) that just aren't working when applied to anecdote books? I'm wondering if you're being a bit too literal with the instructions instead of adapting the advice for your projects.

Alternatively, it might be that the part of your brain currently insisting 'I need a craft book on EXACTLY the niche I want to write before I can try this' is just your brain psyching you out and discouraging you from sitting down and trying to write it. What happens when you just sit down, set a timer for 25 minutes, and try to write this anecdote-based book?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't you asked this before?

Here, and here.

Emaree is right; you're being to specific in terms of your requests for books about craft. You might try reading actual memoirs and similar books. See for instance The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Cat. And the book I already suggested: William Zinsser's Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past.

creativitytogo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind and helpful replies.

Before the joy of writing, my initial hobby is to research interesting subjects, such as writing memoir/nonfiction etc, and to learn as much as I can about them.

It is the love for knowledge, and to learn many aspects of things.

I also like to find "peals of wisdom" in any book that I read, and sometimes, there are subjects that are covered over and over again, while others are more difficult to find.

So, when I am asking for guidance, it is only after many hours of reading, yet not finding enough relevant info.

Also, my quest to understand things evolves all the time, and in order to complete the puzzle, I need to cross-reference information, from different disciplines.

Thanks you all for the kind advice.