Dutch court rejects man’s request to be 20 years younger

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
He sounds like a narcissist. He can't tolerate reality not matching his mental image of himself.

Also, as a person in the sciences, it galls me that he's trying to argue that his age is not a measurement, but a feeling.

It reminds me of Donald Trump changing his estimates of his financial worth based on how important he was feeling that day. No, dude; your financial worth is a measurement of how much money you have, not a feeling.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
How would he know he doesn't feel 69? Has he been 69 before?

Seriously, these "mind over fact" "gurus" are really taking it too far, when they expect the courts to side with their delusions.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
He sounds like a narcissist. He can't tolerate reality not matching his mental image of himself.

Also, as a person in the sciences, it galls me that he's trying to argue that his age is not a measurement, but a feeling.

It reminds me of Donald Trump changing his estimates of his financial worth based on how important he was feeling that day. No, dude; your financial worth is a measurement of how much money you have, not a feeling.
Do you think I could get the court to declare me a millionaire?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'd hate to be the one to have to break it to him that his mirror isn't going to believe an altered birth certificate. And anyone he could somehow convince he's only 49 years old is gonna wonder what the heck he did to himself. If he's that concerned, his legal fees would have been better spent on a nip & tuck and some fillers. Yanno, if it matters that much. Nah, when your face is a map of years, it is what it is.

Ari, happy enough to have made it to sixty-eight.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Seriously, these "mind over fact" "gurus" are really taking it too far, when they expect the courts to side with their delusions.

Indeed. This is so weird--one of those things that feels like something that should be written in the Onion.

Age is an indication of how many times you've been around the sun. Now one could argue that what a given age means and feels like is rather subjective. But the passage of the years themselves is not.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. Do you FEEL like a millionaire?

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Sometimes I do!

:greenie

I hope they ding him for all the court costs. Or send him for evaluation of his mental faculties. Or both. Whatever the judge feels like...

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

From the article: "He claimed he did not feel 69 and said his request was consistent with other forms of personal transformation gaining acceptance around the world, such as the right to change name or gender."

I think he's just a transphobic twat trying to make a point.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Indeed. This is so weird--one of those things that feels like something that should be written in the Onion.

Age is an indication of how many times you've been around the sun. Now one could argue that what a given age means and feels like is rather subjective. But the passage of the years themselves is not.

Wait til we crack relativistic space travel - then things'll get really complicated. ;)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
From the article: "He claimed he did not feel 69 and said his request was consistent with other forms of personal transformation gaining acceptance around the world, such as the right to change name or gender."

I think he's just a transphobic twat trying to make a point.

(Change in bolding mine).

I agree.

Also, per the freshly bolded bits... I'm sorry, since when has changing one's name NOT been accepted? Heck, it's pretty much expected when a woman gets married, and those who choose to keep their names can expect a certain amount of flack from the same folks who are liable to give people grief for not having children.

Eighty years ago, my grandmother, who grew up with the objectively dreadful first name of "Orilla," (pronounced just like it's spelled - "Gorilla" without the "G" - it would have sounded much prettier with a spanish pronunciation) jumped at the chance to change her name, first AND last, when she got married, and nobody batted an eye.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
(Change in bolding mine).

I'm sorry, since when has changing one's name NOT been accepted? Heck, it's pretty much expected when a woman gets married, and those who choose to keep their names can expect a certain amount of flack from the same folks who are liable to give people grief for not having children.

Hahaha. As a woman who kept her own name in marriage and never had kids, there is some truth in this.

And when men do choose to change their names, whether for marriage or some other reason, they often face more hurdles (this seems like gender discrimination). The name change paperwork for women who are getting married is relatively easy, but it takes more effort to change one's name for other reason. And transgender people do have legal trouble changing their first names to match their gender in many states and countries.

Still, there have long been legal options for changing one's name legally in western countries, as well as for having legally recognized pen names or stage names that are different from one's true legal name. Maybe one could have a "stage age"? I'm sure that would be popular for actors.

I don't think age is the same kind of thing as one's name or gender identity. It isn't really at the core of one's personal identity in the same way, as everyone gets older as they live. If one couldn't evolve their own age self-perception, we'd all still think of ourselves as tiny kids. Mind you, there is a point where one's self perception starts to lag behind the actuality. This manifests when I look in the mirror and think, "Who's that older woman? Oh, right, it's me." If he experiences that periodically, I doubt he's alone or that it's a basis for changing one's legal birth date on their birth certificate or something.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
There's a smidgen of argument to it, though, in the sense that people do age differently, or in different ways. It could be argued that if I was some kind of a superhuman whose natural lifespan was 120 years, my 80 is the equivalent of your 60. Ofc, the only way to find out would be ot see how long we both live (and once we're both dead, I doubt either of us would care...)