The 2018-2019 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm in for the first time ever!

:e2woo:

I...wait, what the...?

*Attempts to unstick self from thread. Succeeds in entangling self further. Gives up and sighs.*

:gaah

I'm in for both giving and receiving!

Giving:
While I'm willing to try my hand at pretty much anything, I don't think I could do justice at all to hard sci-fi, steampunk (probably any of the punks:gone:), or comedy. Comedic moments? Maybe. Outright comedy? Not likely. :scared: I don't typically lean toward excessive violence or gore, although mild forms of either might appear in my work if the story calls for it. I will also write smexy times if the story warrants it. Language may appear if it's true to the character's voice. Just let me know if anything like that is inappropriate for you. I probably lean more toward fantasy, romance, or horror in my own writing. I promise that I'll do my best no matter what prompt I receive, just understand that I can only hope I do justice to the genre. Maybe I won't do too badly! :idea: :Wha:

Receiving:
I'm not a big fan of hard sci-fi or straight comedy. Other than that, I'm pretty much open to anything. I love characters who are witty and intelligent, and I'm drawn to strong, realistic characters. Language and smexy times don't bother me. Nor does violence, but please no excessive violence or gore. Let's just see where the story takes you!

Prompts -- Choose one or more and let's see what happens.

A haunted place. -- What and why entirely up to you!

A secret society. -- Who's involved? What are they about? Why are they secret?

An ancient curse/place.

A twist on the Seven Wonders of the World. (Original list, not the 20th century lists.)

Edgar Allan Poe's last days.

Death of a king/queen.

A locked chest/door/book.

An ancient text of some kind. (Letter, book, hieroglyphs, symbols, scroll, etc.)

The end of the world/post-apocalyptic world.

Magic.

A mysterious death.

Time travel.

Stonehenge/Newgrange/Knowth/Tara/Dowth.

An ancient civilization. (Known, unknown, another world altogether -- up to you!)

A girl who sees how and when people die.

A soul-collector.

A sleeping evil awakened.

Orkney islands.

A village massacre.

An obsession.

Let's have some fun, people! :banana: :partyguy: :PartySmil:e2grouphu :mothership:

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Ooops. Forgot to say...

Cobra, I PM'd you!

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
*screeches into AW in a cloud of sparkling dust*

I'M HEEEEEEEEEEEERE. And I'm in. For both.

What I would like: (the usual prompt) A story for a winter's night. Set at night or in a land of eternal night, your choice. Also, set in winter (the season or a land of eternal winter, your choice). Happy ending please. Romance is beautiful so are solid friendship stories. No graphic sex or violence. That's pretty much all I got for general criteria.

Brownie points for including:
*something red and sparkly
*dancing
*a snowglobe

What I will write:
Fantasy/SF/steampunk/ghost story/fairy tale retellings. No graphic sex or violence. I can do humour, I can do dark, I can do middle-ground. Light romance.

Cheers,
T

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooops. Forgot to say...

Cobra, I PM'd you!

Got it!

Just over a week left for sign-ups and these prompts are fantastic! This is going to be a great Sisyphus, folks.

UPDATE: Just to confirm, everyone has received an e-mail from me, yes? If you haven't, please let me know!

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Email received here.

And some giant glowing plot bunnies are starting to nose around...how many days ‘til Christmas??

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I didn't get my email because I haven't officially posted that I'm participating...so without further adieu:

giphy.gif

I mean,
"I Delcare....PARTICIPATION!"

I will be doing both giving, and receiving.

I will give any genre, except if you want romantic, smexy, horror storiez it's best to look elsewhere cause I'm no good at them, and really don't want to be.

What I want:

This summer we had a Summer Sequel (I called it SIAMANG) and the best stories combined all the prompts, so this year for normal Sisyphus I want a prompt smoothie.

Take 2 or more prompts/jokes/running gags from elsewhere in this thread and mash them together. Like Kanye-goes-to-Asgard and must attempt to defeat Fluffydark the kitten demon of Ragnarok.

Or grab any two, three, five, all of the prompts that everyone else has put out there and put them all in a story. Don't tell me which prompts, cause finding the prompts is like my own personal guessing thread...its awesome.

ETA: Oh, a quick BTW, please no romantic smexy horror. Good with pretty much anything else. Writers choice!!

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
:e2Order:Just over a week left for sign-ups!

Depending on who comes piling in, might be a small and relatively cozy affair this year. Which could be nice, since it guarantees we'll all get between one and thirty-three extra stories in our inbox come March.

I would even go as far to venture some people have already started writing through the prompts, #NotNamingNames.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Depending on who comes piling in, might be a small and relatively cozy affair this year. Which could be nice, since it guarantees we'll all get between one and thirty-three extra stories in our inbox come March.

I would even go as far to venture some people have already started writing through the prompts, #NotNamingNames.

If you're suggesting me, heavens no. I don't start until I get my assignment so I can put more attention on my giftee. Besides *gestures at how behind she is in the Countdown challenge*

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score

Ahahahahahahahahhhhhha that's absolutly ridiculous.

*nervous sweating*

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Count me in! I've been trying to come up with a good prompt, but the prompt fairies are still on strike.

GIVE: I can lots of different things in the fantasy space. Nothing too grim or dark this year as I don't think I can handle it. Sometimes I do funny-ish things.

RECEIVE: I've had a hankering for something in the epic fantasy realm, but I'm game for a good urban fantasy or any intriguing fantasy story. I'm always looking for smart, sassy characters who give as good as they get and run into the danger instead of away from.

Bonus points for having to deal with something that just absolutely boggles the mind.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on who comes piling in, might be a small and relatively cozy affair this year.

With the quality of people who participate in this, 100 would still be cozy. In the 7 years we've been doing this, I can count on one hand the number of "problems" encountered. That's a testament to you folks who bring some pretty fantastic fellowship to the table.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
UPDATE: Just to confirm, everyone has received an e-mail from me, yes? If you haven't, please let me know!
I got mine.

As for attempting to write prompts early, that is not a thing I do. I do have some prompts in my sooper sekrit I-think-I-could-write-this-and-not-draw-a-total-blank brainstorming doc, though...

*is suddenly squished between a large lab-mix pup and a beagle who both think the recliner is the dog chair, because that's helpful for brainstorming*

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno if I'll be writing anything other than my assigned prompt this year. The word fairies are being recalcitrant. I'll have to wait and see what my actual prompt is before I decide anything.

That said...

:Jump: Less than two weeks until we get our prompts!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I might write a flash fic or two based on other prompts, depending on how my main wip turns out

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
I got mine.

*is suddenly squished between a large lab-mix pup and a beagle who both think the recliner is the dog chair, because that's helpful for brainstorming*

That sounds like totally best thing for brainstorming to me. (But I may be biased because I am lonely sick ball of misery this morning and also way behind on my FFC prompts.)

Am tempted to make note of my favorite prompts to Cobra this year as one or two do jump out at me. But some of the fun is working with the unexpected too.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

A wonderful inspiration/horrible distraction especially when they're barking and trying to knock the laptop out of your hands. I may have some experience with this, as I don't have a chair and write sitting on the floor where everything is Property of Dog.