The 2018-2019 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha, Cobra, you ought to (because it's not like you have enough stuff to do, right?) post at some point a total wordcount for all the year's gift stories.

Word counts show up in the Guessing Thread, but it might be doable here, too!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Jump: Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Soon.

:Jump: Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Um...also soon?

Seriously, though, we are THIS CLOSE!!

For the newer folks, or those who need a reminder, come Monday morning (my time, Eastern, USA, Earth, -ish), I'll finish compiling all the stories and begin sending them out. Keep in mind that it can take a while to get 50+ stories over the wall. The goal is to have them all sent before lunch (my time, Eastern...you get it), but work/life might affect that timeline. I'll keep everyone in the loop here in this thread on when I begin and if there are delays. Just a heads up so no one panics.

Once every story is outbound, I'll warm up the engines on the Guessing, which is located in the Share Your Work arena. Two THREE big items for the Guessing Thread are:

1) There's a 50 post minimum for posting stuff into SFW. Honestly, I'm not sure if that affects replies to threads, but just FYI to anyone below 50.

2) The password to play in SYW is "vista".

3) Based on lessons learned from the last 7 years, we're going to test-drive a more accurate GPD* system. Each day, every participant will be allowed 10% guesses (rounded up) of the total number of stories posted. If we have 50 stories, everyone can make 5 GPD. If, like last year, we have 149 stories**, each participant is allowed 15 GPD. This should help balance the timing between the Guessing Thread being over in 10 minutes and it dragging on for weeks.

Like I said, this is a test-bed for a new system, but it's also YOUR event. If it doesn't work, we can always make changes. Just let me know.

Okay, T-Minus 2 DAYS till the end of the 2019 Sisyphus!

*GPD = Guesses Per Day

**coughMaggiecough

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Soon.

For the newer folks, or those who need a reminder, come Monday morning (my time, Eastern, USA, Earth, -ish), I'll finish compiling all the stories and begin sending them out. Keep in mind that it can take a while to get 50+ stories over the wall. The goal is to have them all sent before lunch (my time, Eastern...you get it), but work/life might affect that timeline. I'll keep everyone in the loop here in this thread on when I begin and if there are delays. Just a heads up so no one panics.

Once every story is outbound, I'll warm up the engines on the Guessing, which is located in the Share Your Work arena. Two THREE big items for the Guessing Thread are:

1) There's a 50 post minimum for posting stuff into SFW. Honestly, I'm not sure if that affects replies to threads, but just FYI to anyone below 50.

2) The password to play in SYW is "vista".

3) Based on lessons learned from the last 7 years, we're going to test-drive a more accurate GPD* system. Each day, every participant will be allowed 10% guesses (rounded up) of the total number of stories posted. If we have 50 stories, everyone can make 5 GPD. If, like last year, we have 149 stories**, each participant is allowed 15 GPD. This should help balance the timing between the Guessing Thread being over in 10 minutes and it dragging on for weeks.

Like I said, this is a test-bed for a new system, but it's also YOUR event. If it doesn't work, we can always make changes. Just let me know.

Okay, T-Minus 2 DAYS till the end of the 2019 Sisyphus!

*GPD = Guesses Per Day

**coughMaggiecough
[Bolding mine]

Yeah, it's fine . . . better than fine, it would be great if everyone jumped in. :) The 50-post minimum in SYW (AE & BP, Library, Brainstorming Sandbox, etc.) applies only to opening a new thread. Crits and helpful posts in existing threads are heartily recommended to all including new members.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to the internet cafe and finishing the last of the edits right now. I'll buy a round of coffee for all of us.

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
I prefer mine plain and strong.
coffee.png

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Woo hoo! Official announcement has gone out. We're so close!

I'm curious to know how many extra stories (if any) were written. :)

I'll have a cappuccino, thanks, Blinkk!

For everyone else still furiously writing -- :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer: you totally got this!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have names! For a bit there I was worried I'd be turning in the adventures of TKName.

Still working on the rest of the words.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I too am excite. Excite by the knowledge I will not be sleeping for the next 48 hours, because who thought 25,000 words would take time to edit?

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanna say this in general: If whoever has my prompt is out there working feverishly—and going without sleep or making yourself sick—to make the deadline, please stop, turn it in naow, and be good to you. You're worth far more to me than a completed or perfectly polished story.

Consider me your first reader. And, if sometime later, you want to work on it for publication, I'll be honored and thrilled to help.

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I too am excite. Excite by the knowledge I will not be sleeping for the next 48 hours, because who thought 25,000 words would take time to edit?

Yikes, Alby.

An unedited story and an Alby who hasn't made himself ill through lack of sleep would be MUCH better than giving up sleep to edit a story. You are worth more than any story.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I just wanna say this in general: If whoever has my prompt is out there working feverishly—and going without sleep or making yourself sick—to make the deadline, please stop, turn it in naow, and be good to you. You're worth far more to me than a completed or perfectly polished story.
QFT to my gifter as well. It is 100% okay to turn in an unfinished story!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I just reopened my already submitted story, and found some some egregious it's/it abuse. I shudder to think what else is lurking around in there. Plus, there are some inconsistencies and contradictions I just remembered that may render my story (more) incomprehensible. I'm good with it.

Congrats to everyone, finished or otherwise. We got this!

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I just reopened my already submitted story, and found some some egregious it's/it abuse. I shudder to think what else is lurking around in there. Plus, there are some inconsistencies and contradictions I just remembered that may render my story (more) incomprehensible. I'm good with it.

Congrats to everyone, finished or otherwise. We got this!

Ayuh. We sure do.

(Just reread mine for the first time since I submitted. Found a ? that started out life as an !. Gonna pretend I caught it mid dance. Yeah, that's the ticket.)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
DONE! and SENT!

Now comes the nervous "are they going to like it?" pangs until Monday. LOL

*Sorry to the receiver--things have not gone the way I'd preferred lately. Stupid brain weasels.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Just sent mine.

I have regrets, a strong desire to apologise, and then a fear that if I post an apology and then people don't think the story is terrible I'll look like I was fishing for compliments. Normal post-story feelings for me, probably. It's just that this time I abandoned an idea I liked but couldn't make progress with, so this one feels like it was made up out of panic and leftovers.

So I guess I should take a moment to step back and remind myself that I finished a thing and finishing things is cause for celebration. So... I finished a thing! Yay!