poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Pushcart-Nominated Poet Accused of Plagiarizing Multiple Peers

Earlier this week, Twitter was full of up-and-coming writers celebrating their Pushcart Prize nominations. The Pushcart, which honors works published by small presses, is a coveted award, especially for new writers looking to sell their first books. But one of those nominees has come under fire for lifting words and images from multiple peers.

After the nominees were announced, poet Rachel McKibbens tweeted that two of poet Ailey O’Toole’s recently published poems plagiarize her own work, including the Pushcart-nominated poem, “Gun Metal,” which relies on images from McKibbens’ poem, “three strikes.”

Update (4:21 p.m.): Poet Brenna Twohy has informed Jezebel that 13 lines from “Gun Metal” were taken directly from her book, Forgive Me My Salt.

https://jezebel.com/pushcart-nominated-poet-accused-of-plagiarizing-multipl-1830796824

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ha! I just read this before coming in here. Closed the tab on Jezebel, opened AW.

If you're not a writer, but a student or an employee compelled to produce a written thing, I understand plagiarism. I mean, I condemn it, but I understand how someone could be tempted to shortcut their task by taking something someone else wrote.

My comprehension falls off a cliff when it comes to writers doing this.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I just read this before coming in here. Closed the tab on Jezebel, opened AW.

If you're not a writer, but a student or an employee compelled to produce a written thing, I understand plagiarism. I mean, I condemn it, but I understand how someone could be tempted to shortcut their task by taking something someone else wrote.

My comprehension falls off a cliff when it comes to writers doing this.

Well, she's poisoned the well now. I gather it's not just McKibbens.

What editor will touch her in the future?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
not sure if dreadful is the word.
amusing, maybe. bemusing?

ultimately, sad.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's a Facebook group that basically outs plagiarizing poets; I stopped following it because it was too damn common.

And also, because some of what people excoriated as plagiarism was genuine homage and / or allusion. It really wasn't an attempted literary kidnapping.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i reckon people will do questionable things in a culture consumed by fame...

this is a strange one, though, positioned as it is at this weird intersection of social media obsession, mental illness, marginalized groups, race, the insular world of the online poetry "scene" and of course the insatiable blood lust of twitter.

throw in the almost surreal fact that she tatted her ill-gotten words on her arm, and the whole thing just becomes sickly delightful.

poetry just feels like a weird thing to steal. it's like appropriating someone's fingerprint, or using their toothbrush.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Poetry Twitter Erupts over a Plagiarist in Their Midst

Meanwhile, the internet does what it does: It takes sides. The disgraced poet’s defenders cite her youth and history of mental illness, pleading for leniency; her critics insist that she’s evil, entitled, maybe even racist. (“White poets are feeling like there’s not enough of a captivating narrative for them to be listened to, so they’re creating false ones,” McKibbens, who is Chicana, mused at one point during our conversation.)

Beneath the outrage, though, there is also magnanimity from a group that still on some level recognizes a young and hungry striver as one of their own. “Within the poetry community, an honest and sincere apology goes a really long way,” says Brenna Twohy, who was tipped off by a friend about her own work being plagiarized in “Gun Metal.” “We definitely haven’t seen that so far from Ailey O’Toole. I hope that happens.”

Even McKibbens has some sympathy for O’Toole — and doesn’t believe she’s a lost cause. “What bothers me is how many people consider this a career ending, life-ending thing and it’s not at all,” she says. “I’m like, it’s not to end you — it’s to end that bullshit you’re on. If I come hard at you it’s because I understand you’re reachable.”

Where McKibbens draws the line, though, is the tattoo, which she considers unforgivable on an aesthetic level if not a moral one. “This Trapper Keeper, hollow bubble font,” she says. “You took the music out of my words, you pulled the teeth out of it, you lessened the work when you rewrote it, and then you went and put it in a really shoddy font. That hurts.”

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/poetry-twitter-erupts-over-plagiarist-ailey-otoole.html

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
“What bothers me is how many people consider this a career ending, life-ending thing and it’s not at all,” she says. “I’m like, it’s not to end you — it’s to end that bullshit you’re on.

Thing is... from the looks of things, this WILL end her, at least as far as her "writing" career is concerned.

If the only way she can write successfully is to plagiarize (and it seems to me that if she had the skill to generate good original content, she would have done so from the beginning), then taking away her ability to do so by subjecting her work to close scrutiny and calling her out every time, will effectively end her "writing" days. Sort of how, if someone can only "swim" by floating around in a pair of water wings, they'll drown if you take away the floaties.

That's not to say I have any pity for her. Plagiarism is right up there on my list of things that automatically designate someone an awful person. But there are a million career choices that don't require one to generate original content, and she can have a long, successful life on dry ground.

If she really, really wants to get back in the water... well, she'll just have to learn to write - no quotation mark floaties to hold her up.

Last edited:

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe that some poets are still plagiarizing others' work.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There are legal ramifications if she profited from the work she stole as well.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
there is a tradition there; it's certainly not solely a contemporary phenomenon.

i think in this case it's a CYA attempt, however.

Yeah, it was a CYA attempt, but historically, going back to poems in Latin at least, there's a tradition of poets conversing via poetry. Sometimes in the form of challenge-and-response, sometimes as two or more poets collaborating on a sequence of thematic poems.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but doesn't the term 'conversation' imply that both sides know it's happening? This sounds more like 'butting into a conversation between two people on a bus' - annoying and kind of creepy.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
The part I keep coming back to is that the plagiarist herself went to the original poet to say “I took part of your poem” and like. If it had only been that — if it had been an honest mistake she realized too late — if all she took was that one piece — then O’Toole coming clean to both the author and her own publishers could have been the end of it, I think. But it wasn’t and she didn’t and here we are.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but doesn't the term 'conversation' imply that both sides know it's happening?

Not necessarily at the start. One artist could produce a piece the next one responds to. But you can converse without using much of the other's work. Take "Southern Man" and "Sweet Home Alabama." One song has a response to the other, but it references Neil Young and title "Southern Man." It doesn't use lyrics. I do suppose Neil writing back would've been fair game, but you do this carefully.