• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Avoiding love interest

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Is this men/women in general or just straight men and women? Oh Lord, what do bisexual people do? Can you tell I find the idea that men and women can't be friends to be ridiculous on a number of levels?

Thank you. :)

I think it's true that adults sometimes (but nowhere near always) experience attraction for other adults. This can happen in the context of romance, friendship, acquaintanceship, or even outright loathing. It can also be (and often is) something we don't follow up on or express in any way.

Sometimes a narrative wants you to acknowledge an attraction, but that doesn't mean you need to turn it into a full-blown romance. And sometimes a narrative is perfectly happy without any hint of sexuality at all.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Is this men/women in general or just straight men and women? Oh Lord, what do bisexual people do? Can you tell I find the idea that men and women can't be friends to be ridiculous on a number of levels?

Indeed. It's utterly ridiculous. I suspect the people who make those blanket generalizations about men and women and friendship aren't even thinking about people who are potentially attracted to both (or to all genders).

Another thing to consider is that one can even be friends with someone for whom one feels, or has felt, unrequited attraction. For one thing, not all such attractions end in romance or hurt rage. Sometimes attraction just fizzles after a while if it's not nurtured or if one ends up with someone else. Not everyone is obsessive about these things, and not everyone confuses attraction with entitlement.