December Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 29
Finished Book II plot revisions. Ten chapters revised, 2114 words drafted. I'm thinking of giving it a rest before starting the second pass of character revisions. I've got a plot bunny storming my brain.

Layla: Congrats on your 1/2 page. I like this two part sleeping thing. Some day...

The Second Moon: Way to keep at it!

Cindyt: Bed is the best place for thinking. Have you tried Scrivener for drafting? Am I the 30th person to ask you that? It takes some getting used to, but it's way cheaper than MS products. This post is not sponsored by Scrivener. My partner uses Open Office, but he ain't no writer, and I can't speak to it.

April Swanson: Congrats on your WC. Swampy Act II. Love that! When I compile a mss into Word, I get a little nostalgic.

Pterofan: A clean room. What's that like? Ooooh, that story description has piqued my interest. Finish, please and thank you.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
way to go Moon - Sweet Seventeen ;)

Congrats on the words & the research and - tons of empathy about frustrating technology, Cindy

Congrats on the 213 April, way to keep at it

Awesome Ptero - and congrats on the cleaning. (it feels so good to get it done)

Whew Gough - you are smoking as usual.
(and bunnies are so hard to resist. See how they hop! To cuddle? or not to cuddle?)

Dec 29

WIP 1 page
R/SC - some tidying/sorting; crafting
$$ - researched how to de-ess vocals

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
WGough - thumbs up for the plot revisions. Gawd plots are hard to sort out.
Layla - page by page, word by word.

This afternoon/evening we held a memorial mass for my mother in law, and then a family dinner, so I couldn't do much. Well, apart from 315 words, the start of the "Temple" chapter. Getting some plot and character development.

keep on swimming!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, I have been writing even if I haven't posted here and updated you guys. I'll be back in a few hours to respond to everyone and keep giving you guys all the encouragement!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 29

Draft - 31

Polished - Voice article

I spent a goodly amount of time tracking down an image with a high resolution, pouring ove five people’s FB photos. Gah.

Submitted - to the Voice “My Heart Will Go On.” It’s about a nine-year-old neighbor boy who was hit and killed by a train during Christmas week 1999. My editor cried.

April - I’m going to use a literal bank register, and slap the rest on Word Online. My 8+ year old desktop is in excellent condition, so I’m hoping to use WORKS for a while longer. Nice word count when you couldn’t get your arse together.

WGough - I usually draft right on WORD. I just need an application where I can write letters, slap on info, and such. I may try open office. You have really done a lot work lately! Congrats!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 29: 342 words.

Not bad, although I had more than three hours to write and I only managed that, but that's because I was fretting about my book and about the adult POV (it's MG). Luckily, I got some good help from fellow AWers.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 29 - 1-1/2 pages longhand, about 500-600 words
Day 30 - 1 page longhand, about 400 words. There could be more later.

Experience (and a lot of counting) has taught me one longhand page equals roughly 400 words, more or less. More if it's narrative, less if it's dialogue, unless my characters are given to speeches. :tongue 2-1/2 pages comes out to about 1000 words. We're talking 8-1/2 X 11 ruled notebook paper here. I think somebody was wondering how I estimated my word counts.

Just like last week, the library's closed tomorrow and Tuesday, so I'll either skip or go to the truck stop. I'll be back on Wednesday for sure.

And the grand finale to my 2018: I tuned in to the Doctor Who marathon and there was Mark A. Sheppard. Crowley, King of Hell, was on Doctor Who! What a way to wrap up the year. ;)

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 30
Brainstormed new story idea scenes long hand. About 4K words. Researched private schools. I've been working on "the Saga" for so long, it took my brain a while to shift to something new. Very weird sensation for me.

Layla: Congrats on your page. I went with cuddling.

Keithy: Nice work.

Blinkk: Way to check in.

Cindyt: Draft, polish, submit. Congrats!

The Second Moon: You're nearly there!

Pterofan: Nice work. I love that DW episode.

Not sure if I'm going to switch to Book II character revisions tomorrow or keep fiddling with this new story. A nice conundrum.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the 315 &c Kiethy

Hey Blinkk good to see you!

Cindy - congrats on the new stuff and on the submitting

Nice work Moon!

All right Ptero! nice work on that ~1K over that two days

Gough - congrats on the 4K & on the wee change of pace :)

Keep those words coming, Moon!@

Day 30
WIP - 1/2 page
also - wee bit of work on non-fic projects B & C
R/SC - earning service, nap(!). Chores.
$$ - very wee bit of indy work

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
BlinKK- we had every faith in you despite your absence.
Second Moon - don't fret. Let it flow. Use the force.
Everyone else - good going

I did 806 words today. This is a new chapter, with no scraps from any previous attempts. Shana is crouched watching what might be called a medieval mining operation around a ruined temple and a burial mound.There's a "workplace accident". Nobody's worrying about health and safety.

keep swimming/sailing

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 30

Draft - 650

Polished - 4 scenes

Research - 1985 home pregnancy tests.

Layla - congrats on the half page!

WGough - Wow! 4K words is doing it great.

Sooooo, I lost two days worth of draft and edit. I swear I looked all over WORD and OneDrive. No luck. Then it just reappeared, baby. Gah. What a mind bang.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Sorry, another festive drive-by. Last one, I promise!

I ended up taking yesterday off and plan to do the same today. I've got a mad January planned so I'm enjoying some brain-pause before it kicks off.

Happy Hogmanay, folks. See you next year :partyguy:

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bad Write Every Dayer; I dropped out after a few days again. But I wasn't idle; I wrote, revised, edited, and submitted a 5k short story over about 5 weeks, which is basically a miracle for me as I'm usually never that focused on a single project. So that gives me hope for 2019. :)

Well, Happy New Year, folks! The new thread is up so remember to drop by there tomorrow ;)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 30 - added another half page or so, so I'm going to call it 550 total.
Day 31 - did half a page this morning, maybe 200 words. There could be typing later.

I'm at the truck stop and it's raining. The Walmart looks more crowded than it did at Christmas. I will write tomorrow, but I think I'll skip checking in and take a hike instead. My town has a rail trail project in progress and they opened up another stretch near where I live. Also, I found some of my Tanith Lee paperbacks, including the story collection I was looking for, and the house is clean. I'm ready for 2019.

Happy New Year, everybody! :partyguy: Have some leftover bananas! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Last check in of 2018.

I did 787 words today, despite it being New Year's Eve. There's been a bit of chit-chat while "Mac" went to scout the dig mentioned above. Then he returned and told Shana the bad news: she'd have to help infiltrate the dig, and pretend to be a boy. Well, that didn't go down well; for someone of her race, sex and age it's a pretty bad insult. Sexual dimorphism is much more pronounced in her species (and reversed), and with her being a pubescent teenager, she's torn between despising boys and wanting to protect them. And she's just landed in a traditional quasi-medieval society. All things considered, that's a recipe for trouble.

Keep on swimming! Happy New Year from Ireland, and see you all in the January thread.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 31: 16 words.

Andddd I did it! I wrote everyday this month! :hooray:

Now for the total...

15,549 words! That means not only did I write everyday, but I beat November's total word count. I accomplished both my writing goals for December. And I sounded so unsure that I would accomplish anything in my first post. :partyguy:

On average I wrote 502 words a day! :)

Good job to everyone who participated. Here's a dancing banana.... :banana:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this month was going to be bad with school ending and sickness and Christmas, but in total I ended up with:

44 pages edited
1 big change to WIP 1 (because I promised past me I would add that in to the month's final :))
2194 new words written.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Keithy :)

Congrats on the 3 today, Cindy

Happy New Year April :)

Hey Magnus! Good to see you :)

Congrats on the page & a half, Ptero

Day 31
WIP - 2.5 pages
R/SC - moar tidying!!
$$ - wee bit of indy research, audio editing

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
whoa! I missed Keithy, Moon & starry --

Good to see you guys, congrats on a great month everyone & see you in January!

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 31
More brainstorming new project. Can't. Stop. :flag:

The Second Moon: Way to meet your goals! :partyguy:

Layla: Wow! Nice page count.

Keithy: Way to sail!

Cindyt: Awesome work, as usual. Yikes, hope your heart's calmed down.

April Swanson: Happy New Year! Way to take care.

Magnus: Wow, success! Congrats!

Pterofan: Way to tie it up. Another truck-stop / Walmart day. Love it.

starrystorm: Outstanding work!

Have a Happy New Year, everybody! See you in 2019.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 31

Draft - 301

Polished - 1 scene

Research - working a crime scene

Layla - WTG on 2.5 pages!

WGough - Brainstorming is rad!

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S, EVERYBODY!

Charke

Registered
Reaction score
I used to maintain 1000 words a day religiously. I wrote it down and made up for it if I missed the mark. These days I write a lot more than a thousand words a day, but after a decade, I've stopped keeping track. The habit is just there. So there is a point where I think you can stop pushing yourself and just write. If I spend a few days researching, marketing or doing art or something, it doesn't bother me anymore.

- Mark Charke

Status
Not open for further replies.