How many self-published authors get external editors?

Mike Rousseau

Wordsmith and Defenestrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm likely not going to get an agent, so self-pub is my only option. I've done structural edits, proofreading, and copy edits. Three passes. I'm ready to move forward. The problem is that aside from the $100 I need for cover art, I'm looking at over $1,000 to edit my book due to its size (148k words)

I know I'll benefit from having an editor, so long as I pick a good one. The problem is that this novel is likely going to make $20 at most, and I don't have a grand to spare on the project. I'm not able to afford an editor, and I believe in paying people for the work they do, so I'm not out to get that time donated.

I guess the biggest worry, aside from putting out a really bad book, is that I won't learn and grow as a writer by not working directly with an editor. I've had some beta reads, but as I did it very casually, only one person finished the book. Long books are a hard sell for most people.

Do most self-pub authors actually go and hire their own editors? Or do they just wing it, do what they can on their own, and hope for the best?

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Why is your default position that you won't get an agent? Have you written a non-commercially viable book? If so, why would you want to put it out into the marketplace?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Many of the self published books I see have not been professionally edited. (others are.) It does show if an editor hasn't gone through it. But, the books are fantastic even without the professional edit, and I enjoy them. They are just a different level of polished.

As an example, I recently finished a great self published book. It's about 180 pages, not really novel length, but the author (who I know) felt that it was done. And the right length. And he'd completed what he set out to, and he was happy to have it self-published. It was unique, and funny, and had line errors and I didn't care when I was reading it.

The sorts of errors in this book are:

"What do you mean?" He asked.

Whenever a dialog snatch ends in a ?, !, or ., the subsequent tag was capitalized by whatever editing software this person used. You wouldn't see that sort of error in a trade published book.

Guess what? It doesn't bother me. You learn to read around it.

I think it's like listening to a music CD you record or mix yourself with your home equipment, vs a professionally produced music cd. The audience can tell the difference. But you know what? There's room for both in society and people like both kinds well enough.

I doubt a professional edit will affect your sales one way or the other. But, some editors give a ten page sample edit for free, and you might consider having ten pages edited like that to see if you are making errors you are unaware of.

Them's my thoughts.

Last edited:

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Patty -

What about developmental edit issues?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
This particular book had none AFAIK. I don't know how closely the book hewed to any standard 'story formats,' (it felt like three defined acts and nicely-developed characters) but it was simply fun.

The reason I know the author is because he is in one of my writing groups. I had seen about four of his excerpts when he was writing the book, but he'd had most or all of the remaining chapters through some sort of in-person critique. So it's possible that some of the editing/etc happened in that context.

My first sense about not hiring an editor is that it *does* show in the final product, for sure, and my second sense is that books can be plenty enjoyable without taking that step. It seems strange to pay a grand to edit something that might sell fifty copies. I suppose as an author gains fans, the math changes.

But everyone's mileage will be different on this.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm likely not going to get an agent, so self-pub is my only option. I've done structural edits, proofreading, and copy edits. Three passes. I'm ready to move forward. The problem is that aside from the $100 I need for cover art, I'm looking at over $1,000 to edit my book due to its size (148k words)

I know I'll benefit from having an editor, so long as I pick a good one. The problem is that this novel is likely going to make $20 at most, and I don't have a grand to spare on the project. I'm not able to afford an editor, and I believe in paying people for the work they do, so I'm not out to get that time donated.

I guess the biggest worry, aside from putting out a really bad book, is that I won't learn and grow as a writer by not working directly with an editor. I've had some beta reads, but as I did it very casually, only one person finished the book. Long books are a hard sell for most people.

Do most self-pub authors actually go and hire their own editors? Or do they just wing it, do what they can on their own, and hope for the best?

Self pub because you've decided it's the right path for you and what you want, not because you don't think you're going to get an agent (unless those coincide, in the 'I only want to write 26 novellas about the world of toaster elves' kind of way).

There are plenty of self-pubbed books that were not professionally edited. In a general sense, they'd mostly been better off if they had been.

You can learn and grow as a writer without working with an editor. You can start in the SYW section here, critiquing and, once you have 50 posts, putting your own work up for critique. You can join writers' groups in person or online. You can take classes in person or online. That said, even editors have editors, because, for the most part, people have blind spots when it comes to their own work, in ways both large and small.

As to publishing, if you decide you want to self publish your book, decide what your goals are. If you just want to put it out there, and don't have or want to save the money for editing, well, plenty of people do just that. If you want to put out the best product you can, maybe you save up for an editor, and work on it and other projects in the meantime. Maybe you decide you want to pursue a trade deal, in which case you'll probably need to trim the thing regardless, so see above the SYW and etc., stuff to improve on your own.

I utterly disagree with Patty that it doesn't matter to readers. Everyone is individual, and of course, there are people who will overlook errors and plot holes and etc. Personally, if I 'look inside' a book and see an error, I'm likely out. If I see two, no chance I'm doing anything but closing it. I don't care what it is.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Self pub because you've decided it's the right path for you and what you want, not because you don't think you're going to get an agent (unless those coincide, in the 'I only want to write 26 novellas about the world of toaster elves' kind of way).

This. There are all kinds of projects that fit better with self-pub.

I utterly disagree with Patty that it doesn't matter to readers. Everyone is individual, and of course, there are people who will overlook errors and plot holes and etc. Personally, if I 'look inside' a book and see an error, I'm likely out. If I see two, no chance I'm doing anything but closing it. I don't care what it is.

Agreed, in particular regarding line editing errors like capital letters where they don't belong. I find that sort of thing immensely distracting, and wouldn't be able to enjoy a book that had too much of it.

Mike Rousseau

Registered
Reaction score
@Round Two - It's not my default position. This book isn't something any agent would touch. That's what I'm gathering from my querying. I think it might appeal to maybe four people, hence the $20 comment. But I would like those four people to be able to have it if the specific subject matter resonates with them.

@Patty - That's good to hear, at least. I tend to find 1-5 errors in every trad pub novel I read. I expect I'll have a few, and the work won't be as tight.

All of the editors I've found don't offer unpaid work, and I wouldn't ask for unpaid labor, anyway. Unfortunately, that's not an option, but I appreciate the insight.

@cornflake - It's the right path for me because trad pub isn't an option. This first series I'm writing is something I've always wanted to write. I didn't write to market. My querying tells me that this isn't salable traditonally.

This isn't a "screw you agents, you don't know my genius" kind of thing. I acknowledge that it's probably like every else's first book. That doesn't necessarily mean that because it's not going to sell a thousand copies that I can't put it out, sell four, and be happy with that success.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, if I 'look inside' a book and see an error, I'm likely out. If I see two, no chance I'm doing anything but closing it. I don't care what it is.
FWIW, this is me, too. Blatant errors (as opposed to the occasional typo) are far too distracting to me, and I've passed on many a self-published book after taking a peek at the "Look Inside" preview. If there are multiple errors in the first few hundred words, the text is likely to be riddled with them throughout. Plus, I don't want to develop the habit of overlooking errors and affect my own editing skills. With a bajillion books out there to read, I would choose one that didn't have basic errors. Take with salt!

All the best,
Riv

Mike Rousseau

Registered
Reaction score
Have you had beta readers?

Yeah, I mentioned that. Only one of them got through the book, because 148k words is a big ask.

Everyone says they enjoy it? I'm still not convinced it's not a heaping pile, but if it can't get an agent, it probably is.

Anyway, don't worry about it. I'm trying not to.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
@Patty - That's good to hear, at least. I tend to find 1-5 errors in every trad pub novel I read. I expect I'll have a few, and the work won't be as tight.

All of the editors I've found don't offer unpaid work, and I wouldn't ask for unpaid labor, anyway. Unfortunately, that's not an option, but I appreciate the insight..

Just to be clear--I sure as heck don't recommend exploiting editors for free samples. :) In case it came across that way, that wasn't my intent. Ah, internet.

But that when you interview editors before hiring one, many will give a sample to help you find the best fit for your needs. I've been interviewing a few editors as I work through the same puzzle you are working through. For some, you can also pay a small fee for a short sample edit (like $50 for 5000 words) and get some good insight about your blind spots that way too. I've done both, and slowly winding the path toward a product.

But on a bigger level, it really depends on your goal. I keep thinking about my aunt who self published her memoir, (Tyele). I think it was mostly for her kids and the rest of us in the family. Maybe for more than that, I don't think so though. She isn't trying to build a fan base, but leave her story, and that makes sense to me.

The world is big. Self publishing is a great option.

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I mentioned that. Only one of them got through the book, because 148k words is a big ask.

Everyone says they enjoy it? I'm still not convinced it's not a heaping pile, but if it can't get an agent, it probably is.

I saw the info about only one beta reader finishing it, then promptly forgot it! My apologies. :gone:

Once you get up to 50 posts, you have the option of posting your opening in the Share Your Work forum if you’d like some writer feedback. It could give you an idea of how folks might see a “Look Inside” preview.

All the best,
Riv

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

Honestly, if you've got people who say they enjoyed it but didn't actually finish it? I wouldn't put much stock in the 'enjoy it' part of their response.

If you've been querying it and you've only gotten rejections, that could be the query as much as it could be anything else, including, of course, the length.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to self publish and my novel is being edited now. I believe editing is the most important part of the process of self publishing and the one thing that I can’t do myself. The bottom line is - if my book isn’t good, it’s not going to sell so I need to do what I can to polish it as much as possible. I’m going to do my own formatting and cover but I know I need other eyes on the book as a whole. I am a newbie at this and I look at it also as a one on one class tailored to exactly what I need to know so it’s worth it to me. If you start any kind of business, you have to make an up front investment in it. I figure the money I am spending is not that much when I think about it in that way. I have been self employed most of my life, so self publishing just makes sense to me. I have more control and freedom and that appeals to me. It’s very possible that if you do pay for editing, your editor may be able to help you tighten up and improve the book and you’ll sell more than few copies...

Mike Rousseau

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, if you've got people who say they enjoyed it but didn't actually finish it? I wouldn't put much stock in the 'enjoy it' part of their response.

If you've been querying it and you've only gotten rejections, that could be the query as much as it could be anything else, including, of course, the length.

Oh, I'm sure it's a combination of the book AND the query both being bad. And I'm aware that it's probably not that good, especially if people can't finish it.

I guess the other option is to toss it and write something else. That's probably more likely at this point. Or just quit. That's an option too.

Thanks for being frank! It's making my decision a lot easier to make.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure it's a combination of the book AND the query both being bad. And I'm aware that it's probably not that good, especially if people can't finish it.

I guess the other option is to toss it and write something else. That's probably more likely at this point. Or just quit. That's an option too.

I wasn't at all suggesting that tossing it should be your option -- see the above post about SYW, learning to edit better yourself, writers' groups, saving up for editing... publishing, however you go about it, is not a speedy process.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Or - do the work. Get some beta reads that say stuff, listen to the stuff, make the changes, and - from what I'm reading here - I'd say yes, pay the money for an editor if you're planning to self-pub. A good editor is worth her weight in gold, if you want to charge people for the book. (If it's just for family and friends - different issue. Family and friends are more forgiving.)

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
The way I see it, there are two viable options forward--paying an editor, which is risky to my mind. Not just because of the money (because I have paid one and was rather disappointed), but because you're trusting someone with your work. They won't necessarily make it better. Sometimes they just make it different.

I feel more comfortable with the swap-and-grow method cornflake mentioned. I have long-standing relationships with beta friends, most of whom I met in Share Your Work. I learned to edit by swapping with them and doing many SYW critiques. This process has taken years. And I still wouldn't publish without three separate beta-revise, next beta-revise, etc. passes. YMMV. :)

ETA: But if you do none of the above, I would strongly suggest hiring a proofreader, which is all that a lot of people actually hire when they say they use an editor.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

1) Or, you may have the wrong set of betas.

2) Story time!

Spouse had a friend who was an amateur woodworker. He got to admiring a lot of professional pieces that had been done only with hand tools, and decided to take a shot at it himself.

He made (IIRC) a table. And it was beautiful. Professional quality? No. You could see the flaws in it. If he'd tried to sell it, he wouldn't have made much. But as a learning piece, especially his first? Just lovely.

But all he saw when he looked at it was that it wasn't a professional quality piece. And he never tried again.

Don't be this guy. 99.99999% of us aren't Mozart; we have to work and polish and learn and learn and learn before we write something really good, and the cycle never stops.

It's not easy. But there's real satisfaction in developing your craft.

3) Do not ever let a bunch of internet strangers talk you out of loving your work. (And yes, it's possible to love your work and recognize that it may want some revision at the same time.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Repeated because this is true:

99.99999% of us aren't Mozart; we have to work and polish and learn and learn and learn before we write something really good, and the cycle never stops.

It's not easy. But there's real satisfaction in developing your craft.

3) Do not ever let a bunch of internet strangers talk you out of loving your work. (And yes, it's possible to love your work and recognize that it may want some revision at the same time.)

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm self-published. I use an editor... she's not a professional one. She is, however, another writer in my genre, and she does a lot of editing-related stuff for her day job. I pay her for her time, but it's not a large payment.

She isn't perfect, but I don't need her to be perfect. I've learned that my demographic will tolerate some minor errors so long as the story's good, and my readers have learned that if they point out errors to me I go in and fix them ASAP.

But honestly, if your estimated return on investment (ROI) for your first book is around $20, then I don't know that paying an editor is a good idea. I'd recommend swapping favors with a friend who's good with grammar, or looking around for another writer to do a mutual proofreading. Yeah, you'll have to work in that case too, but it's the sort of exercise that can do you some good.

Mike Rousseau

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys. This was meant to address some self pub questions. I went a little too deep into why I'm considering self publishing, and I think we tethered to that.

Thanks for the advice!