You are not going to believe this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I actually love getting these types of calls because it gives me an opportunity to provide a community service to some innocent people who might become victims of these scammers, since there are only so many hours in the day and if I am using up some of that time then someone who may be more vulnerable is being spared. There is the added benefit of making the scammer irate or uncomfortable. My normal strategy is to play along for as long as possible, though of course without giving up my name or any other details, and depending upon the evolution of the conversation, I may or may not go on the offensive.

Once I “won” an overseas holiday and I questioned the need to provide my credit card details since it was all expenses paid and I did not see the need to even bring my credit card on such a trip. When I was transferred to the company’s “legal representative”, I asked him for some proof and he gave me his word as proof. Since it seemed that a man’s word had suddenly become legitimate currency, I gave him my word that I was the personal bodyguard to the Queen of England. The call was immediately terminated at his end.

I did once spend forty minutes in a conversation that had the scammer get very frustrated with me because I wasn’t helping myself with regard to my car accident compensation because he had the cheque right there in front of him and just needed me to confirm my name so that he could sign it and post it. The poor mite was almost in tears at my stubbornness, but I just kept begging him to send it to me because I was in so much pain from my accident (FYI, there was no such accident). That was a very circular conversation, whereby he kept asking me to provide proof of identity and my name and my contact details, and I kept replying that he knew who I was because he was the one who contacted me and he must have had my details right there in front of him and his job was to help me instead of hinder me. I did way more begging to keep him on the line than my pride would normally endure, but in my defence all of the begging was fake.

Other times, because they have no way to put in a complaint to the police without providing their own details, I just ask the criminals for some very explicit details about their anatomy and their sexual preferences, and their availability to meet up with me for carnal purposes. I’m toning it down for this discussion of course; my questions are much more direct and constructed in simpler terms that even stupid people can easily understand. My other half has been sitting across the table from me from time to time when these conversations occur, and she does not find them anywhere near as funny as I do LOL.

I did once come across an article somewhere online that gave a transcript of a conversation between a scammer and the “Australian Taxation Office” (ATO). The “ATO employee” was threatening the person he had called, who was not intimidated in the least and kept up a very polite and pointed discussion that started wearing the scammer down. In the end the scammer became abusive and started calling his intended victim a motherfucker, but all that elicited was: “Oh, I didn’t know that the ATO was in the habit of calling taxpayers motherfuckers? Has etiquette fallen so far in this day and age?” It was hilarious from start to finish, and best illustrates that the way to ruin a scammer’s day is to face up to them and not show any fear, and above all, to mock them. I once asked one if he was a paedophile and the fury he directed at me was something to behold! How dare a criminal be accused of a type of crime which he didn’t commit?! Fuck ‘em.

There are many ways to deal with these fools, and you are the outright winner if they fail to secure your personal details. How angry you make these scumbags gives you a few extra bonus points. I find each experience very much worth the effort. It’s a kind of ad lib theatrical performance that’s more entertaining than watching the TV.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kay got a call yesterday saying her great-grandson in North Carolina had been arrested for disturbing the peace and was requesting we send his bail via cash card to Durham Police Department at a post office box.

I wasn't at all surprised as he recently went from terrible twos to worse behavior at three years old. I was glad Kay hung up 'cause the lad could use a bit of time behind bars. :greenie

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Some great stories here. I got one call from Microsoft Tech Support saying he could see me using my computer right that very instant. I said, "That's very interesting. First of all, I'm on the freeway. Second of all, my computer runs Linux." *click*

I've read anecdotes about calling farms where the guy got through to a phone and the caller said in very hushed tones, "How did you get this number?" There was a conversation, then eventually a visit from men in suits. It turned out their robodialer had called the phone of someone in a three-letter US federal agency whose numbers were classified.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Glad to say that the calls from the 4 digit number stopped last week. Still hearing from the car warranty scammers. I tell them that my 2011 Dodge Avenger has passed 194, 000 miles. They are aghast. They warn me that it will crater any day and ask me what I will do then. I say "I'm going to buy a new one with the money that I save by not falling for your idiotic scam!" I kind of enjoy the car warranty scams. No cursing and so much fake concern ---s6

Status
Not open for further replies.