• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Sought: Low Fantasy Swashbuckler

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
I've just completed a rewrite and expansion of my 2013 low fantasy/swashbuckler novella No Good Deed... to make it a full-length novel. Before I begin the editing pass I'd like to have someone read through it. BUT I'm not just wanting a simple read. What I'm particularly looking for is:

1) First, I'd like an initial read to be from someone who has never read the novella, and would not be judging the work from that context.
2) After that initial read, I'd like a second reading to be done AFTER reading the first edition to get an idea of how the changes I've made work in comparison to the original version. Does it provide better context for events? Does it flow better? Are the characters better fleshed out with the additional content? Is there something the novella did better? Did I introduce any continuity gaffes or plot holes during the expansion?

If anyone is interested I will either gift an e-Book version of the novella or make a PDF available for the second read.

AudreyInDC

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I've just completed a rewrite and expansion of my 2013 low fantasy/swashbuckler novella No Good Deed... to make it a full-length novel. Before I begin the editing pass I'd like to have someone read through it. BUT I'm not just wanting a simple read. What I'm particularly looking for is:

1) First, I'd like an initial read to be from someone who has never read the novella, and would not be judging the work from that context.
2) After that initial read, I'd like a second reading to be done AFTER reading the first edition to get an idea of how the changes I've made work in comparison to the original version. Does it provide better context for events? Does it flow better? Are the characters better fleshed out with the additional content? Is there something the novella did better? Did I introduce any continuity gaffes or plot holes during the expansion?

If anyone is interested I will either gift an e-Book version of the novella or make a PDF available for the second read.

Hi! Would you be willing to do a critique swap? I have an 85,000 historical fantasy/fairytale retelling that I'm looking to get critiqued - not line-editing, more of a high-level, overall opinion. I just want some brutal honesty about whether the story is boring or not and where and what the major turnoffs are, if any. I haven't read your novella, so I could at least give you a one-time read if you can do a swap and then if the first round goes well we could consider going for a second round post-revision? I also just posted this morning with a little more detail about my ms. Let me know, thanks!

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
Giving a bump on this. No Good Deed... is still looking for beta reads.

I'd still like a read of how the novel compares to the novella if at all possible, but the important thing is getting a read of the novel on its own merits so I can get it ready for the editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.