Feedback for Bellerophon--Greek myth retelling, new version post 14

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
So, the words are all done for Bellerophon, and this is the first round of covers. I have some reservations, but I'd rather not voice them prior to critique.

DDD sent me the first two options; I played around in Photoshop to try to make some hybrids for options 3 and 4. As an aside, all versions have a DDD watermark which won't be part of the final image.

Version 1:

version-01-11.jpg

Version 2:

version-021.jpg

Version 3:

version-032.jpg

Version 4:

version-042.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very subjective, but my fav by far is #2. It caught my eye and drew me in immediately (much more so than the other three). The only thing I would change on it is making your name a bit brighter/lighter.

All the best,
Riv

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I agree with Riv and The Second Moon. #2 with a brighter name.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the second as well. My reasons:

On the warmer, more textured background, the drop shadow on the title blends better. I feel that the drop shadow against the cooler, flatter backgrounds is too obvious and gives the typography a more amateur feel than in number 2. As the others have commented, the contrast on your name isn't as high, but that may be a function of image size. I wonder if it would work on the book itself. You might try bumping the brightness on your name without changing the hue, so it keeps to the warmer color scheme.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the second is most eye-catching. The warm color extending down the sides mitigates the emptiness of the upper half and makes me itch less to move the figure up a little to fill it.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone--especially for responding so quickly. I'm on a time crunch on this with DDD since they close in a few weeks for Christmas break.

Option 2 it is. I've requested a less spotty gradient (it looks like an old lithograph to me, which would be appropriate if this thing was set in the 19th century, instead of 1200 BC). I also requested the same author font color as option 1, so that should contrast better, and also to move the layers so that the title font seems to be sitting on top of the gradient, rather than the reverse, which is how it is now.

Nobody brought it up, but I dislike the subtitle font--it feels too similar to the author font, and it just looks meh to me. I asked for a different font there, preferably something that doesn't have "of" in all caps, or at least not all caps that are the same size as everything else.

I'll post the revision when it comes back (usually a day or two). Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone--especially for responding so quickly. I'm on a time crunch on this with DDD since they close in a few weeks for Christmas break.

Option 2 it is. I've requested a less spotty gradient (it looks like an old lithograph to me, which would be appropriate if this thing was set in the 19th century, instead of 1200 BC). I also requested the same author font color as option 1, so that should contrast better, and also to move the layers so that the title font seems to be sitting on top of the gradient, rather than the reverse, which is how it is now.

Nobody brought it up, but I dislike the subtitle font--it feels too similar to the author font, and it just looks meh to me. I asked for a different font there, preferably something that doesn't have "of" in all caps, or at least not all caps that are the same size as everything else.

I'll post the revision when it comes back (usually a day or two). Thanks again. :)
Just as more data points on the specifics mentioned...... The subtitle font worked fine for me, but another one might work just as well! FWIW, I like the depth the spottiness of the gradient gives. I didn't think lithograph; it just looked cool. :greenie Also, the layering of the gradient over the title was one of the most eye-catching aspects for me (right behind the color). It was interesting and made me look closer (in a good way).

All the best,
Riv

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Riv. I think layering the gradient over the title integrates it better into the overall design, and offsets some of this issues I had with the dropshadow in the other versions.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
also to move the layers so that the title font seems to be sitting on top of the gradient, rather than the reverse, which is how it is now.
Looking at the layering again, I thiiiiiink maybe it's just an optical illusion that the gradient is over the title. The "B" has similar light/dark patterning in #1, but with the title a tad more "burned" in #2, it seems to blend with the (awesome) gradient. Note that the letters at the end of the title don't seem to be under the gradient layer. I reeeeally like it as is. (I'll go sit quietly in my corner now! :greenie )

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the color scheme of 2, but not the way it looks like a book that's been left forgotten on the floor of the garage for a decade. The rest of the designs were a bit too drab and gloomy with too much beige. A bit of yellow/glow will make them more attractive but it doesn't really need the "oily" border look. I'd also prefer the author's name to be bigger, it looks overly modest here ;)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks, everyone.

As far as my name goes, or at least the placement of it, part of the problem is that it's so long. Sixteen letters plus the space in the middle. And I don't honestly know how important a consideration this is, but when it comes to the author's name, DDD advises keeping the same font and the same placement for all my books. I figure they've done way more covers than I ever will, so I'm inclined to stick with their advice, at least for now. I do know that name recognition is hard to get, so if this makes it any easier, I'm all for it.

Concerning the spottiness, I suppose we'll see how the next version comes out. Right now it bugs me. But I'm trying to be flexible about this sort of thing, and I'm feeling mildly successful since I went with a photograph instead of one of my paintings because it's better branding.

As an aside, I painted not one, but two covers for this thing. And both of them made my book appear to be MG. Grrr. This cover has turned into such a quest, but I did learn some stuff from it, and I suppose that sort of thing should be expected. Everything seems to have its very own learning curve.

Concerning whether or not the title font is on top of or under the gradient, we can see how the next version looks. Maybe the title is already in front, like Riv suggested. I can probably get away with another round of revisions. I've already told Kim that I'll pay them whatever's fair, even if it goes over their quote.

As another aside, one thing I really like about them is that they've knocked the price down when it goes quickly, so this principle seems to be working both ways. I really like DDD, in case anyone's looking for a cover designer. You can certainly find cheaper covers, and they're scheduling for June right now, so you have to think ahead, but I can have extended conversations about branding and other stuff, which helps a lot.

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, new version. What does everybody think of this one?

version-051.jpg
The original #2 is still my fav (with your name lightened), but this one is second in line! (And a nice, close second.)

Last edited:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I agree with Riv - I like some of the graphic elements in Version #2 that are now missing, and I liked your author name better in that version.

But they are looking pretty cool :)

Glad to see this awesome story will soon be coming forth into the world!

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
. . . and I liked your author name better in that version.
Me, too! I like the warm, golden tones in the author name in #2, just thought it needed to be lightened a tad.

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I'll email DDD back in the morning and tell them that this one is a go. :)