Debating which MS to query first

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm almost done revising my first MS and plan to start querying soon. However, I'm wondering if I should hold off and query the MS I'm drafting now.

My reasoning is this: My first MS is book one in a YA scifi trilogy, and is about 110k words (which I know is higher than standard debuts). My CPs agree that there's not much more I can cut, compress, or save for book 2. On the other hand, my second MS is a YA fantasy standalone at about 72k words (It'll go up after I revise, but to nowhere near 90-100k). Based on my industry research, the word count and trilogy factor give the first MS a higher chance of rejection. Given the circumstance, is there an advantage to querying the second MS first?

Thanks for your help! :)

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm almost done revising my first MS and plan to start querying soon. However, I'm wondering if I should hold off and query the MS I'm drafting now.

My reasoning is this: My first MS is book one in a YA scifi trilogy, and is about 110k words (which I know is higher than standard debuts). My CPs agree that there's not much more I can cut, compress, or save for book 2. On the other hand, my second MS is a YA fantasy standalone at about 72k words (It'll go up after I revise, but to nowhere near 90-100k). Based on my industry research, the word count and trilogy factor give the first MS a higher chance of rejection. Given the circumstance, is there an advantage to querying the second MS first?

Thanks for your help! :)
Does the first manuscript stand alone? Does it give a satisfying ending that may leave the reader wanting more, but not needing more? You would typically query one book (not a trilogy) and then discuss series potential once you're in communication with an agent. It's important for the first book to be a complete story. There can be some threads that aren't neatly tied up at the end, but the plot for that book needs to be wrapped up in a satisfying way.

Which manuscript shines brightest? That's the one I would pursue first (assuming the first of the trilogy can stand alone).

All the best,
Riv

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Does book one in the trilogy stand alone?

If so, I don't think it's necessarily that much of a problem, although there are good reasons to query a shorter debut first.

Were I in your position, I'd be tempted to query MS#1 just because it's done, and it has precisely 0% chance of landing you an agent sitting in your desk drawer. Assuming, of course, that you've polished the heck out of it, had beta-reader feedback, and generally feel it's ready to query, of course.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
My vote would be the one you think is stronger. Work with that first and see what happens. If that's not doing good, then try the other one.

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for your insight!

The second novel will definitely get to 80k during revision, so no worries there. The first novel stands alone, but it's pretty clear from reading that it's first in a series since the "big bad" still exists. If any of you have read The Darkest Minds by Alexandra bracken, that's a good example of the feeling of "conclusiveness" a reader would get from it.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say the one you are most excited about.