How To Support AW

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: How we write.

Threaded View

In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the walrus.

How we write.

Hello. My name is Michael Myers and I am a . . . bit perplexed. With Ari’s indulgence, I thought to open a discussion about how we write. Not a crit circle, but rather a discussion about how a story’s words get from brain to paper. How we each individually approach the process. Perhaps there’s something worth learning there. Or not.

By way of example, here’s a string of words that my keyboard captured. My eyes were closed while I allowed myself to enter into the scene, chasing tendrils. Pausing, observing fast-moving mental images, recording, but never stopping to read back and edit. Misspellings and all:

=============
    drew his gun loaded a bullet toe to the door should he need a swift opening silencer dorr jamb for a steady rest two men nearby scriffy and hungry but just shuffled on she sat in front and they to the rear sharing a brown paper bag the contents of and whiping heri lips with a dirty sleep

Then in his plain compact sedan, driving away into the the fog of the night.
    ==============

The last line came after I’d captured the blob, a coda with the spin needed to fit a larger subtext.

Thoughts, anyone? Crickets?

Again note that is NOT A CRIT CIRCLE kind of thing. I have been assured that Ari will see to that.
    Last edited by Michael Myers; 11-24-2018 at 04:09 AM.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things."