Learning a new Instrument

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I've just reached another birthday, and each year I re-evaluate my musical pursuits (among other things).

For thirty years, I've played guitar on and off--my favorite is fingerstyle classical, blues, and traditional tunes. I mainly read tablature, but have been plugging away at reading standard notation; I can do it, but I am not yet fluid reading multiple notes at once (as I am reading guitar tablature).

Which brings me to piano. I've taken lessons and have enjoyed practicing easy tunes. Again, reading multiple notes simultaneously is the biggest challenge. I understand theory, and sometimes I just like to play around on the keys.

With each of these instruments, as with other artistic pursuits, my focus comes and goes. I play daily for months and become comfortable and confident. Then I'll not play for months, and that confidence goes away. (I'm coming off a three-month hiatus from guitar and am shocked at how rusty I've become.)

In the last decade or so, I've tried violin and saxophone. Particularly, I've been looking for a one-note-at-a-time instrument. Though learning each of these made reading notation much more enjoyable and challenged my brain and body in good ways, they've presented some challenges. I'm a big guy, so violin is just too small for my fingers. Maybe viola or even cello would be better. With sax, I didn't like my teacher, and playing really, really hurt my teeth. It's not supposed to if done correctly, but I have a weird underbite that might have something to do with it. I still have both instruments, but have not played them recently.

On one hand, I tell myself just stick with what you know (guitar and piano) and work at it more steadily. But this is a milestone birthday which really drives home how short life is. I really, truly enjoy learning new things, even at the expense of other pursuits. I don't want to worry if I don't like something in the end. I'm just in it for the experience and to continue to exercise my brain.

So, what do I try next? I want something that is enjoyable to play solo and isn't too big (sorry tuba). I played trumpet in middle school, but was never very good at it. I think I may have the same problem as I did with sax. Maybe none of the woodwinds or brass will do? Viola sounds interesting; despite the smallness of the violin, I enjoy playing stringed instruments, so the larger viola is appealing. The drawback is the unique use of the alto clef. Cello, though big, is appealing.

I watch videos like this, and I'm inspired to begin again. https://youtu.be/DaugRxMz7tw

Any suggestions?
What are your musical experiences?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Vocals and piano since I can remember, but nowhere near as talented as the girl in that video.

I too am thinking of trying again only with the guitar now. Specifically classical acoustic in honor of my father and some truly inspiring music that really almost makes me cry every time I hear it.

So in my biased opinion, I say go for it!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Two of my favorite "different" instruments are the pan drum (AKA hang drum or hand pan) and the Native American flute. I haven't seen any music for hand pan, so I've got no clue how it's written, but I think at most it's two or three notes at once. It is played iwth both hands though.

Kate Stone is the first hand pan artist I discovered.

Mary Youngblood is my favorite flutist.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
If I don't enjoy something, at least somewhat, there is little chance I'll stick with it long enough to make anything of it. So, my advice, really, is just to have fun. Ha, I could have said that in one sentence, right? Have fun.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I play a bit of classical and Spanish guitar, purely for my own entertainment and have no ambition ever to entertain; I have recently thought about a ukelele - similar skills, equally portable, a bit of fun as has been mentioned (c: