How to clean up space on my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a Coolpad Defiant phone and I have a big problem. When I click on Settings and then click storage, there's a folder that says Other that's taking up 3.25 GB on my phone and my phone only has 8 GB. Is there any way I could delete that folder? My phone is quickly running out of space. It's so bad that I might have to do a hard reset.

Thanks
Maggie.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Have you got a file manager app? This would allow you to delete files and folders, though I'd be curious to know what's in that Other folder.

Have you got an SD card installed in addition to core memory? You could move the folder over there just in case it's something that's needed.

I'd kill for 8Gb lol, my android phone only has 2Gb core memory and it's always 90something percent full, I've moved as many apps and files over to the 32Gb SD card as I can, and changed the Storage setting to write to the SD card as default, but some apps won't move, and ever-shrinking core memory is a constant problem.

-Derek

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
So I gave up and wiped my entire phone clean. I reinstalled the two apps that I initially had installed, and aside from two or three texts, that's all I have on my phone. I downloaded the Clean Master app to clean all the junk out. My solution to this problem will be to reset the phone every 2 or 3 months. I have the phone since June and I had never wiped it clean. My storage space, before the wipeout, was 7.5 / 8 GB used, and my phone was about to start malfunctioning. Next time I go to a Metro store I'm going to ask the agent how to clean up my phone without having to wipe it out.

Thanks, guys, for all the help.
Sincerely
Maggie.

Guy Pierrefeu

Registered
Reaction score
There is a possibility that you wont be able to erase the data labeled Other. Most likely it's part of the software and it cant be removed. The operating system takes up a big chunk of memory space in your phone.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar-size phone and had the same problem. I suspect the factory-installed apps are designed to fill up your phone to convince you to buy a new one, especially if your phone is tied to your plan. But I'm just cynical that way.

If you can, turn off "automatic updates" on all apps, and only update manually the apps you use. For any you don't use, see if you can uninstall them, or at least uninstall the updates. My phone also had a "disable" button on the apps. I disabled any I didn't use.

As Derek said, get the biggest SD card you can and move everything you can to it.

Also, see if you can clear the cache. Sometimes I had nearly 1GB in cache (too bad I never had 1GB of cash!) if I went several months without clearing it.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Oh! So they do this on purpose to force me to buy another phone, huh? These gremlins!
Anyway, it's been almost two months since I wiped the phone clean, and believe it or not, I must clean it up again. Now that I know this, I am not falling for that trap. I'm going to see if I can get an SD card. Thanks, Chris!

Status
Not open for further replies.