Useful new Amazon reporting tool

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Amazon has a new reporting tool for our books which I'm finding very useful. Below is an example for the period in which I put up a new ebook, The Eons-Lost Orphan. Several items become evident when we look at it.

First, it started selling at a pace that I've come view as normal for my previous six books - a few each day.

Second, on August 9[SUP]th[/SUP] SOMETHING happened. The title started selling better, then better yet. By the end of the month the average per-day sales for my books was 40. (I've searched in vain the "something" for some very positive review or mention of my book which would explain its sudden popularity.)

Third, the sales of Orphan increased interest in my other books. Not by a lot. All together they sold about a third of what Orphan did. But that's still significant money to me.

Fourth, because the books are color coded we can see how many each of the books sells each day. Roughly, at a glance. Exactly, by holding our cursor over each column.

Lastly, if we look different reporting periods, such as the last 90 days, we can see trends. Two I identified was (1) after a couple of months of high sales the numbers began to drop as the market became saturated.

And (2) Orphan's sales were dropping faster than the other books. (Meaning to me that I'd better finish its sequel in this next month before interest in the series ceases altogether.)

capture-0-600w.jpg

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Laer: What is that reporting tool called, and where on Amazon's vast world of pages do we find it?

Thanks,
NDG

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Laer: What is that reporting tool called, and where on Amazon's vast world of pages do we find it?

Thanks,
NDG

It's the new KDP reports Beta. Go to your KDP reports page, and look for the box at the top with the link to the beta.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I like it. It beats manually selecting and deselecting information to get the same thing. I still like the present system for an at a glance look. I did however like the presentation of the former connecting lines graph better, although the present one is just as functional.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I like the look of it but there are some features missing so right now it's more like window dressing. They need to get all the features in and give more details as to how to find things on the new interface because it's confusing. Also, I hear it doesn't even offer the pre-order numbers on the new one. I'm still using the original until I get a handle on this one. For instance, I don't see how you download your royalty statements on this one. Also, is it true they don't do Month to Date? I love being able to see sales broken down like that. Someone says that feature isn't on the new one. But yeah, I can't find where you download your royalty statements. Where is the previous month section? I check that when I wanna see sales as well.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I like the look of it but there are some features missing...

No, they are not. They are still there. What this feature does is show visually the Units Ordered does and lets you find out in more detail which units are sold. It's not supposed to do everything, any more than the old UO feature does.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Heh. I just discovered a glitch. The color coding in the OP's screenshot looks consistent, however, I just noticed on my reports that the colors under the book covers do not match the colors on the bar graph.

GrandFenwick

Registered
Reaction score
Are people still using Book Report? This new KDP Beta thing is interesting, except it doesn't show daily royalties in dollars and cents as far as I can figure.