• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Etymology, meaning, and context

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Example: 'Diaphanous' has a much different feel than 'transparent'.

'Diaphanous' has a different meaning to 'transparent'.

Sorry, backtracking a page, but had to respond :)

They literally mean the same thing (dia / trans = through, phainein / parere = to show / appear). It's just that one is rare and one is commonplace - maybe because one is easier to spell / pronounce / scan, so it has been adopted more readily. Maybe because it's Latin in origin, and there are more Latin words in the English language, by way of French.

But diaphanous will always get my vote, because Greek kicks Latin's ass :greenie

Last edited by a moderator:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Their etymology might be similar, Kallithrix, but in English transparent and diaphanous mean different things. Transparent means see-through; diaphanous means light, and/or almost-see-through, and/or delicate. They're close but not interchangeable.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right. Window glass is transparent, but diaphanous? I don’t think so.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

Obviously what I intended to say was semitransparent rather than transparent. My point was that words have texture to them. Diaphanous has a very different feel to it than semitransparent or translucent. Now, would the use of diaphanous alone constitute 'pretty' prose? Not in itself I believe.

Textured and descriptive prose has it's place, but reading an entire novel written that way would would be IMO exhausting.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score

I would be absolutely correct to call my windows diaphanous - διαφανής is translated as 'transparent' in Liddell and Scott. So English is wrong :wag:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
But diaphanous will always get my vote,

And it's certainly more euphonius. Though it does have shades of meaning that transparent lacks. Word choice does matter.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, backtracking a page, but had to respond :)

They literally mean the same thing (dia / trans = through, phainein / parere = to show / appear).
I disagree, because language is about more than the literal definition of words based on their roots, and words evolve to have different shades within their meanings.

It's why I love words.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
What a word means now may relate to its roots or not. Meanings drift. That's how language works. The ancient Greek root is actually irrelevant to what the word means now, in English. And now, in English, the definition is literally, "1. very sheer and light; almost completely transparent or translucent. [but not actually transparent]; 2. delicately hazy." [Gotten from dictionary.com.]

Because we aren't speaking Greek, or Latin. We're speaking English.

Which of course isn't to say that learning etymology isn't [extremely] useful. In fact, to get back somewhat on topic . . . learning word roots can help you expand your vocab for writing/reading and make certain words become, uh, well, transparent. :tongue

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome and awful used to mean the same thing.
Nauseated and nauseous used to mean different things.
Diaphanous and transparent mean different things in English, whether they should or not.

It's the ol' "difference between the lightning and the lightning bug" thing. Writers need to consider the connotative meanings of words, not just the denotative. All the hand-wavey, nebulous impressions that words give don't go into the dictionary, but it's those impressions that writers leverage to create a precise effect in their reader's mind.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've split this digression from the thread.

It's worth remembering that etymology provides lineage, but not current meaning.

Moreover, connotation is exceedingly important in a synonym rich language like English.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad my facetious comments weren't taken seriously or anything :ROFL:

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
Their etymology might be similar, Kallithrix, but in English transparent and diaphanous mean different things. Transparent means see-through; diaphanous means light, and/or almost-see-through, and/or delicate. They're close but not interchangeable.

Yet, English is configurable. A light, delicately almost-see-through window would be "diaphanousparent". English, for the win.