What Format Do You Write On?

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm on Google Docs with mine, simply because of the autosaves and the "what if my computer catches fire in the middle of the night?" factor.

Is this the way to go?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write in whatever word processor is on the device I'm using. Since we keep a few older computers running, that's occasionally MS Word 2016, which I detest (I like older versions just fine), Open Office, or Libre Office. Everywhere, I've got the Save As set to .doc.

I have automatic backup to DropBox--but I do not have to have internet connectivity to write. (Am I correct that to use Google Docs, you have to be online?) I can be offline completely, and the next time I connect, DropBox kicks in and saves everything that's different. Since we travel a bit these days, sometimes to places without internet, I find that aspect vital.

Maryn, who struggles with Styles in all of them

kmarcks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing most of my drafts on mobisystems OfficeSuite. It is a pretty full featured word processor and has a cloud save. I use it to do some writing on my laptop and also my phone. Final drafts and polishing up I do with Open Office.

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
Microsoft Word, with the files saved to Drop Box.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
LibreOffice Writer. Automatically saved periodically to Mozy. I copy onto a flash drive daily for easy portability (and in .doc format so I can work on it at the day job, using MS Word). Also back up all my writing files onto a different flash drive every week or so.

(The first time I tried writing a novel, in 1976, it was with a manual typewriter (a Royal, of course) and no carbons or photocopies. One copy, on paper -- which somebody burned. Learned my lesson.)

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
+1 for LibreOfice Writer (Linux fan) . . . and three separate drives as back-ups. Odt is the native format, very easy to work in, and easy to convert to other formats as needed.

Rob_In_MN

Newb for life
Registered
Reaction score
MS Word, saving file to OneDrive, which it can do natively, so file is automatically backed up to the cloud when I save.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
MS Word, saving file to OneDrive, which it can do natively, so file is automatically backed up to the cloud when I save.

Same here. I also back up to a flash drive. And the latest MS Word does Autosave continuously.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
MS Word with a side of Scrivener, constant backups to flash drive, frequent backups to Dropbox, infrequent extra-security backups to Google Docs.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I have automatic backup to DropBox--but I do not have to have internet connectivity to write. (Am I correct that to use Google Docs, you have to be online?) I can be offline completely, and the next time I connect, DropBox kicks in and saves everything that's different. Since we travel a bit these days, sometimes to places without internet, I find that aspect vital.

Maryn, who struggles with Styles in all of them
No, you don't have to be online to use Google Docs. I don't use DropBox, but it sounds like the same thing--if you've been working offline in Google Docs, the next time you're online it will sync all the changes. There's a box to check in Settings to enable offline access, but once you do that you're good to go.

I've been working in Google Docs ever since I switched from laptop to Chromebook about four years ago. The one notable problem is that it lags when my files get large, so while I'm composing I split my MSS into two, then recombine when I edit. It's a pretty minor annoyance, though, given the peace of mind the near-constant backing up gives me.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
8.5 X 11 loose-leaf & pencil

My handwriting's horrible. I can barely read it. If I had to write a book by hand I'd be in trouble. Plus all that writing would hurt my fingers!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Microsoft Word to outline (Outline View) and write. I have copies of WIP files on my desktop, thumb drive, and zip filed (with password protection) on a free, online storage site. I use Box.com for that. Some mentioned other sites, like DropBox or OneDrive. I update my work, on all versions, almost daily. I do a lot of work everyday on my project.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I know some authors who write in Google Docs but I wouldn't! I'd be too afraid some glitch happens with Google and you lose the entire story. I think GD is good for plotting and sometimes I start my outlines on there but finish them in Word. But I wouldn't wanna write my whole book on it and I don't care for the layout too much either. I prefer Word.

Last edited:

Rob40

Registered
Reaction score
Website
roughdrift.wordpress.com
MS word.

Just a note on this. If your day job company uses MS office products, you may be eligible for the Microsoft HUP (home user program) which means you can pay under $20 for the whole suite for your home computer. Type in the work email into the MS hup website and it'll let you know. download it using the computer you want to put it on.

For ideas and general short story work i pencil it up on hotel notepads or A5 notebooks I have. Gets me away from tech in my life.