sentencing for an armed robbery in California?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I've been googling this, but I can't find any definitive answers; the circumstances of my character are a little unique, and I believe that her actions constitute a third degree robbery, which is making it harder to find information. In bullet point form, here's her situation:

- It is 1989
- She commits the robbery with a gun, which she carried, concealed, for about a week prior to the crime
- The robbery is an impulsive act, not premeditated
- No one is injured
- She is an extremely wealthy white woman who can afford an excellent lawyer
- She has been seeing a therapist for two years (without a diagnosis) and was recently recommended to an inpatient treatment center

Would she get out of this? Or go to jail? Either option is fun--I'm curious about the credibility of both.

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the normal sentence would be, but from the circumstances you're describing (wealthy white woman in the late-80s/early-90s with a top-flight attorney) I'd say she's got a good chance of getting off with probation.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on whether it's her first conviction or not as well. If she was committed to a mental treatment center, the purchase of the firearm is a federal violation. If she did not have a permit, carrying the gun is another violation. Robbery versus armed robbery are different violations. Mandatory sentences weren't as prevalent until Clinton's three strikes legislation, so that could be a factor. Decide what you need for your story, then write the circumstances to fit.

Jeff

MASON666

Registered
Reaction score
California "Robbery" Laws

Penal Code 12022.53 “10-20-life use a gun and you're done”

California's “10-20-life use a gun and you're done” law provides for significantly longer sentences for defendants who use a gun in the commission of a robbery.32

Specifically, you will receive an extra

Ten (10) years for personally using a firearm in a robbery;
Twenty (20) years for personally and intentionally firing a gun during a robbery; and
Twenty-five (25) years to life if you cause a person great bodily injury or death with a firearm during a robbery.

Last edited: