Free Program to Watch DVD's on the Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I have a little problem. My computer doesn't have a program that I can watch DVD's with, and I don't have a DVD player in my house. I do, however, have a DVD burner installed on my computer, so I was wondering if there was a free program out there that I could install and play DVD's with. Real Player has that feature, and I have it installed on my computer, but in order to access that feature, I have to pay extra. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
M.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I have a little problem. My computer doesn't have a program that I can watch DVD's with, and I don't have a DVD player in my house. I do, however, have a DVD burner installed on my computer, so I was wondering if there was a free program out there that I could install and play DVD's with. Real Player has that feature, and I have it installed on my computer, but in order to access that feature, I have to pay extra. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
M.

Are you using Windows? The built in Windows Media Player that comes with Windows plays DVDs.

Have you tried inserting a DVD and seeing what happens? Usually Windows Media player launches automatically and starts playing the DVD.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little unclear here.

It's not a program that's needed, it's surely the player - the hardware. Same hardware you use for inserting a DVD when burning.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Are you using Windows? The built in Windows Media Player that comes with Windows plays DVDs.

Have you tried inserting a DVD and seeing what happens? Usually Windows Media player launches automatically and starts playing the DVD.

I have Windows 10, and I've been looking for Windows Media Player and I haven't found it. Can it be downloaded and installed?

I'm a little unclear here.

It's not a program that's needed, it's surely the player - the hardware. Same hardware you use for inserting a DVD when burning.

I can burn DVD's with no problem, so I don't know what's going on.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What happens when you insert a movie DVD - not Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the correct hardware

media player is an integral part of windows, but it can be enabled/disabled

I don't know exactly in Win10, but in control panel there should be a link to manage programmes (something like "uninstall a programme") and in there, there will be a "turn windows features on and off" bit. You need to ensure that all the media features are ticked

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
What happens when you insert a movie DVD - not Blu-ray.

When I insert a DVD, the computer doesn't do anything, unless it's a blank DVD. When it's a blank DVD, it asks me what I want to do with the disc.

Sounds like you have the correct hardware

media player is an integral part of windows, but it can be enabled/disabled

I don't know exactly in Win10, but in control panel there should be a link to manage programmes (something like "uninstall a programme") and in there, there will be a "turn windows features on and off" bit. You need to ensure that all the media features are ticked

Thank you. I will try that.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Windows Media Player should kick in automatically when you insert a DVD, but if it doesn't, here's how to find it on a Windows 10 operating system.

In your Quick Launch taskbar of program icons, lower left of the screen, there's a white Windows symbol of four windowpanes. Click on it. This opens a list of all the programs on the computer, in alphabetical order. Some are nested (i.e., Windows Paint is one of the many listings under Windows Accessories) but Windows Media Player is not. It's got a light blue square icon containing an orange with a white triangle in it.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Windows Media Player should kick in automatically when you insert a DVD, but if it doesn't, here's how to find it on a Windows 10 operating system.

In your Quick Launch taskbar of program icons, lower left of the screen, there's a white Windows symbol of four windowpanes. Click on it. This opens a list of all the programs on the computer, in alphabetical order. Some are nested (i.e., Windows Paint is one of the many listings under Windows Accessories) but Windows Media Player is not. It's got a light blue square icon containing an orange with a white triangle in it.

I found Windows Media Player in the list of programs and set it up. Now I don't know how to play DVD's on it. :roll: I'm going to play my music on it in the meantime.

Thanks. I will try the VLC media player. I'm going to download it right now. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.