Mööse Marinade

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
My sister bit a mööse and gave me three steaks. I was informed I should marinade these but no words on how to marinade them. Have any of you marinaded mööse meat before? What are your recommendations?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding--not that I've marinated a moose--is that you need a fairly strong savory flavor to overcome any inherent gaminess. (I assume that moose was fair game, yuk-yuk?) You also want something acidic--vinegar, citrus juice--to tenderize it.

Here are two I'd be willing to try:

Balsamic Marinade

2 teaspoons brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, or marjoram (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a glass bowl. Pour marinade over meat, chicken, or pork; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.

Beer Marinade

3 cups Corona or any pale lager
1/4 cup canola oil
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons agave or honey
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
4-6 pieces of thinly sliced fresh ginger (optional)
1 garlic clove, grated (optional)

Mix ingredients in order. Pour over chicken, steak or fish. Marinate for several hours at a minimum.

Last edited:

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Hellö

Greetings from Norway, the land of the mööse!

You'll get a long way with 2 dl (0,85 cups) olive oil, 1 dl (0,42 cups) red wine, thyme, and 1/2 chopped onion. 5 crushed dried juniper berries optional. For 600 grams of meat.

Good lök!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Moose isn't that gamey - it tastes very much like beef, but it is much leaner and hence, much drier. It may be the cut I've always been given, but I've never had moose steak that I could cook like a rib eye, any that I've been given, I've had success by braising it - brown the outside quickly and then cook it slowly in liquid in the oven (lid on pan). I use garlic, onions, red wine, a Tbs or so of ketchup, mushrooms, beef bouillion cube, thyme, pepper. I've also made it with diced tomatoes - like a swiss steak, and also with mushrooms, onions and cream of mushroom soup. You could also pound with a meat mallet to make it tender.

Good luck with it.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I've cooked elk before which is pretty lean. But only as a roast. I've also cooked bison which is also lean. But never as a steak.

I synthesised the recipes and went with this:

100 mL Saskatoon Wine
50 mL Olive Oil
50 mL Balsamic Vinegar
30 mL Honey (didn't have brown sugar)
30 mL lime juice
dash of Salt
2 dashes Pepper
2 dashes Sage
dash of Savory
12 mL of diced garlic
a carton of mashed Raspberries (a cheaper alternative to juniper berry, I figure and would go well with the saskatoon wine.)

Will report on how it tastes.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Verdict: tasty. Not pungent in any fashion. Balanced. The meat was tougher than I am normally accustomed to but still plenty to chew on and savour. Cooked with a tad extra marinade in the pan and added mushrooms.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds tasty!

Question: is Saskatoon wine different from ordinary wine in some way?