• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

POV confusion!

Jonp95

Registered
Reaction score
So I am editing my first draft and I realise my POV is a little bit haywire! (I seem to jump between so many people without meaning to.) The good news is I have corrected this mostly but what I am concerned about is the following:

Is it okay to follow the protagonists POV (Jack) then swap after a few chapters to someone halfway across the world and use there POV? (Izzy)
Also halfway through the story the second POV disappears (Izzy goes missing.) I then replace her POV with the semi-Antagonist (Aaron.) Thoughts on this?

Thanks to anyone that can help :flag:

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm going to ask a question in return: does it work for the story? Because that's really the only thing that matters.

One of my books starts with 3 POVs, goes to 5, and then drops to 4. While I was writing and revising all I was thinking about was whether the story was working the way I was telling it. At the time, I couldn't have told you what "working" meant. (In hindsight I could probably give you some literary technobabble about narrative structure and foreshadowing, but I sure wasn't thinking about that at the time!)

Oh, you want practical advice? :) Keep revising. At some point it'll become clear to you that the POV switches are absolutely necessary, or that they're dragging everything down. Whether that point is in this revision or the 50th, I can't tell you. :) But trust your story.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jonp95,

Is this not virtually the same question you asked in the 'What's on your mind about your writing' thread only five days ago and to which you received virtually the same response.

Incidentally, it's protagonist's POV and their.

It's your story and only you can know which POV or POVs will work best to get the story across to readers.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can use any POV your story requires at any point where the story needs it. If you have multiple POVs, you can use them in any order. You can add and stop POVs whenever the story demands it.

The only real rules are (1) stay in control of the POVs, (2) don't create accidental confusion, and (3) always use the best POV at any point to tell the story you want to tell.

Are you doing that as well as you can? I dunno. Are you?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Echoing the "if it works for the story" advice.

Also adding that I've seen POV switches used in many, many published books, so clearly it is a Thing and it can be done.

If you're worried, I suggest reading and keeping an eye on how authors handle multiple POVs.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So I am editing my first draft and I realise my POV is a little bit haywire! (I seem to jump between so many people without meaning to.) The good news is I have corrected this mostly but what I am concerned about is the following:

Is it okay to follow the protagonists POV (Jack) then swap after a few chapters to someone halfway across the world and use there POV? (Izzy)

Of course it is. Many authors write novels in limited third, or even first person, with more than one viewpoint character. It's how and why you shift pov that matters here. The main thing is to do it in a way that makes sense to the reader, so they don't get confused and wonder through whose eyes they are seeing things.

Also halfway through the story the second POV disappears (Izzy goes missing.) I then replace her POV with the semi-Antagonist (Aaron.) Thoughts on this?[/B]

I don't see why this couldn't work. Again, it's all a matter of how you do it and why.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Also halfway through the story the second POV disappears (Izzy goes missing.) I then replace her POV with the semi-Antagonist (Aaron.) Thoughts on this?

There's no rule against it, if that's what you mean. It sounds like it could work, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it done in other books for sure. They start out with 5 and end up with 3 or 2 because it's some murder mystery/ horror novel. I've done it myself in one of my books. Had a few betas that really enjoyed it so again, like everyone else is saying, it's how you do it and to not create confusion. When I switch POVs I give them their own separate chapter. I haven't seen it any other way. That would be too confusing to me.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
I've read books that tell from the point of view of on watching little animals in trees. Do whatever you feel works best for your story.

I'm doing something very similar to that a few times in my WIP. It's something that really needs to be done with expert care by a skilled, experienced author. But I'm doing it anyway. And I'm eating chocolate at the same time.

Jonp95

Registered
Reaction score
That's for your help everyone, think I'm getting the hang of how to switch pov's now.

I think it'll definetly fit my story as its when the antogonist is introduced, it also adds a unique perspective.