Did you know that . . .

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Did You Know That...

Human hair grows, in average, at a rate of 6 inches a year?

(So that person with shoulder length hair has been growing it for about 2 years...)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did You Know That...

Avalanches occur only on slopes between 30 and 45 degrees?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Did you know that there is gravity in outer space? It's what holds planets, astronauts, and satellites together. I found this very interesting.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Did You Know That...

Rin Tin Tin was a rescue pup from the battlefields of WW1?

(눈_눈)

Hm. Well, I'm Suspicious.
Registered
Reaction score
There exists an underwater worm about as thick as a soda can, that gets up to 9ft long, and has more legs than a millipede.

DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU HACK IT INTO BITS, ALL THE PIECES CONTINUE TO LIVE AS SEPARATE ENTITIES!?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's it, no more ocean swimming for me.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Barrow, Alaska does not exist, as a city, anymore.

It is now called: Utqiaġvik (the place for gathering wild roots in Eskimo).

Last edited:

(눈_눈)

Registered
Reaction score
DID YOU KNOW that some countries have legislation against listing or otherwise stating a product contains 'hen mensuration'? Their work-around is citing the use of egg substitute.

(눈_눈)

Registered
Reaction score
The core components of cosmetic lotions and cremes can enable you to flush unwanted greases and oils down the drain, and not clog the pipes.

A lotion's base consists of water and oil joined together by a chemical agent (or wax) called an emulsifier. The way that it works, is you pour your oil into a pot of boiling water, add the emulsion, stir/beat/mix thoroughly, then let cool. If you're using emulsion wax, depending on your water-oil-emulsion HLB, the end result will be quite thick. (Butters (Shea/Cocoa/etc) do congeal and retain their 'butteryness'. They do not solidify in the resulting creme.)

However, a non-wax/thickening emulsion will retain a watery consistency.

DAWN gets it's grease-cutting capabilities because it effectively binds grease/oil to water. DAWN IS AN EMULSION. As is most dish soaps and detergents. (Liquid Detergents more so than the powder, since it's highly concentrated.)

To dispose of grease:

Add 1-2tsp DAWN with (up to) one cup oil/grease. (Can typically use 1tsp for one cup oil, but given the thicker consistency of grease, you'd need at least 2tsp.)

Add 1/4th cup HOT water, mix/blend/beat/stir thoroughly until mixture is a gross-looking soupy bleh.

Combine with 1 quart BOILING water. (Boil the water, take it off the stove, add the goop, give it a few stirs.)

Flush.

Tip: The more water utilized, the thinner and more water-like the mess will be.
Tip: For DAWN alternatives, use at minimum 1tbsp, and up to (if you have an absolute dud of a dish liquid) 2tbsp.

Did you know that mineral oil is a useless filler in 'hydrating/moisturizing' products? It doesn't provide any benefit to skin. The reason it's in the product is because there's no real use for mineral oil. It's the byproduct of turning petroleum jelly (think Vaseline) into gasoline (VROOM VROOM!).

The Tocopherols in a given cosmetic product are synthetic, as are most found in supplements, and 'oil preservatives'. Organic tocopherol is extracted from meadowfoam seeds using (IIRC) the cold press expulsion method. (Whatever it's called that they do to get coconut oil.)

To gain the most benefit from coconut oil cosmetic (and food) products, add 1/4thtsp meadowfoam seed oil.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
(눈_눈);10484662 said:
DID YOU KNOW that some countries have legislation against listing or otherwise stating a product contains 'hen mensuration'? Their work-around is citing the use of egg substitute.

Mensuration is a geometry term. I assume you mean menstruation.

Why would someone want to use hen menstruation to promote their foods? Chickens lay unfertilized eggs as part of their menstrual cycles; similarly to human females having periods (to get rid of old eggs).

Hen menstruation sounds deplorable, as per food descriptions.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
(눈_눈);10485148 said:
there's no real use for mineral oil. It's the byproduct of turning petroleum jelly (think Vaseline) into gasoline (VROOM VROOM!).

Food grade mineral oil is important for upkeep of wood cutting boards (as shown here).

(눈_눈)

Registered
Reaction score
People who stress about flying are entirely justified.

Commercial airlines do not carry parachutes. Rather, they have one loaded that is designed to lessen the impact of the plane when it lands/crashes, as parachutes are intended to do.

Fact of the matter is, supplying every passenger with a parachute is an ineffective, and impractical attempt at saving lives.

Should an in-flight emergency of that nature occur, any given passenger is not going to be able to get into the isle to securely fasten the parachute, then get to the nearest emergency exit, open it, and leap. (or get sucked out -- whatever happens when you open a pressurized cabin while a plane is crashing.)

However, in the scenario wherein a person can do that (typically, on a non-commercial flight), these are things you must do:

1. IMMEDIATELY position yourself over things that may break your fall; try trees. They work.
  2. Pass out. No, you cannot skip this step.
  3. Upon waking, you would have descended to an altitude where you NEED to open your parachute; open parachute.
  4. If you've done step 1 correctly, you should be near enough to a fall-breaking something to fall on it. Adjust your course, if you can, if you need to.
  5. Pass out again, this time from pain.

If you wake up --
:hooray:CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Trophy:
:banana:U SRVVD!:snoopy:
:PartySmil

As amazing as this moment will be, that you survived, don't let the extremely high likelihood that you'll never walk again ruin your fun. Every parachute survivor from a commercial flight ends up with gelatin legs.

If any of that sounds uncomfortable, well...

Did you know: the TSA allows you to bring your own personal parachute as your carry on? :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Did You Know that...

Not only despite what media tells us, but also because of what the media tells us, perceptions and predispositions color our reality more than we realize (or often care to admit)?

I was recently tasked with putting together some metrics on the students who have passed through our company's training curriculum and was reminded of an amazing statistician, Hans Rosling, who passed away last February (2017). Some of the AW crowd here may know of him, and even of his passing, but in re-watching several of his TED talks, I was reminded of this stark gap between reality and people's perceptions of the world. In a delayed homage, I give you about an hour of TED talks featuring Hans Rosling, may he RIP:

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen (19:15)

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_and_ola_rosling_how_not_to_be_ignorant_about_the_world (19:05)

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_religions_and_babies: (13:13)

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth (9:57)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that chemicals in sunscreen are killing coral reefs?

Did you know that Florence Nightingale was a statistician and she developed the circular histogram, used for illustrating grouped cyclic data?

Did you know it took the medical establishment 10 years before they accepted Dr Snow's careful epidemiological study of the cholera outbreak in 1800s London. In order to protect the public, Snow talked city officials into to removing the handle on the Broad St Pump, the main source of the cholera contaminated water.

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that Cleopatra lives closer in time to us than she does to the building of the Great Pyramids?

Did you know that there is an island in Italy that was a plague burial ground, then a mental hospital and now is banned from being visited due to ghost dangers?

Did you know that the word toboggan originates from the Mic-Mac language?

Did you know that Christopher Lee was the only member of the Lord of the Rings cast to have actually met the big man, J.R.R Tolkein, himself? Additional fact, Mr. Lee served in league with the SOE during World War II. Additional additional fact, the SOE were also referred to as 'the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare' and the Baker Street Irregulars?

Did you know that I hope you have a good day? :p

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that early movie producers used cornflakes for snow?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that a raccoon can carefully pick up a lit candle, turn it over and snuff it out in the dirt? Watched 'em do it, two different candles we had lit to watch the animal eat some oatmeal we'd left for it.