Newbie on a Journey

cardanise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi members of AW!

I'm fairly new to the writing side of life. I have written fanfiction before, but I want to branch out into original content, which brings me here to help improve my writing. I will admit for most of my life digital art was my go-to to relax and unwind after-hours from work. Writing is secondary and I rarely indulged except those short fanfiction one-shots.

Well, a good friend of mine became my biggest enabler to write more. So, I began searching of 'what should I write about'? Turns out I had an idea with (unsurprising) a premise of a fanfiction I read. Yes, a fanfiction. As it turns out their's a market for it on Amazon. I didn't realize dragon-shifter romance was even a thing!

I originally wanted to write a short story with original characters in a fantasy setting (elves, witches, dragons, orcs that sort of thing). Simple, right? Wrong. I'm currently 40k deep and scratching the second act, in love with the characters, and the fantasy world with plenty of suspense and feels. Needless to say, I'm waist deep in the Writer's Lagoon at this point for it and prepared to go full speed with writing the story. I've searched through Google for 'How To's, Skillshare for videos, and a very helpful book to get me started.

Along with way I've noticed some bad tendencies. 1: My writing speed is that of a sloth, 2: Use too many pronouns (makes my writing bland), 3: Passive voice, and, 4: translating my outline to paragraphs. A neutral tendency I do is I get detail orientated (it's the digital artist in me), but at the detriment of the story having "purple prose" my Enabler calls it, and it makes the story laggy.

If anyone has any advice or resources to help me combat my bad tendencies, I would love feedback! I'll defiantly be lurking around the forums to see what others have written.

Thank you for accepting me into the forums, can't wait to get started, and meet new people!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many of the nice people here write fan fiction. The only drawback is that technically it's not legal, so to protect this site, we can't allow it to be posted for critique.

But that doesn't mean you can't ask writing questions, form relationships with others, and make private swaps for critique, right?

And to go on record, the first book I sold (of two, so don't let my "success" intimidate) started as a fan fiction. It went so well I filed off the serial number, scrubbed it down with bleach, and nobody seems the wiser.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

cardanise

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you too! The book I'm writing doesn't have any hallmarks of the fandom, just the theme/premise of a fanfiction I read, btw. Like I said in my OP, I didn't even know dragon-shifter romances were a thing until I typed it on Amazon. o_O

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Honestly, the best advice is to continuously practice writing. That will work out some of the bad habits you feel you’ve accrued.

There’s also lots of great writing tips on this site.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

jconnor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cardanise welcome to AW.

As far as writing tips go, search better descriptive writing in YouTube and you should get a ton of results. I know this because that is what I’m trying to do and a good video to start with is “better Descriptive Writing in Five Minutes” It shows you how, what to look for, and what not to use. For more improving restrictions, visit Katytastic’s 7 tips to improve your writing. There is a short essay she talks about there that you can use to help.

I hope that you can do something with these tips, it is a ton of information but it’ll help you to get better.

Good luck in your writing.

J

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Last edited: