Is it ever okay to re-query an agent?

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I queried an agent who prompted requested my full manuscript. She then asked for an R&R with some detailed suggestions. Unfortunately, I didn't take it in the direction she was looking for and she rejected it with some kind words. Now, several full requests and two complete revisions later, I'm wondering...would it be okay to re-query that agent noting that the manuscript has been overhauled? I certainly don't want to be a pest or break some kind of protocol but I think the manuscript is far closer to what she was looking for now than it was eighteen months ago and based on her notes, she seemed genuinely interested in my story.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
The worst she can do is say No, but be sure to tell her in your query that two other agents are considering it.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with the above poster. The worst they're going to do is say no. Once in a while I read a few blogs run by agents and they really don't seem to care that much.

bapeery

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that a re-query in this case would be OK, considering you have a previously established/positive relationship. I would ABSOLUTELY mention the extensive changes to the manuscript and note how they align more with what she was initially looking for. As tuesday said, the worst thing that can happen is her saying NO. No harm, no foul. GOOD LUCK!

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
I agree absolutely, I've tightened my manuscript considerably since my first round of queries and I plan to submit to some of the same agents this time around. Best of luck with it all!

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why not query her again. Agents get millions of submissions so the chance she'll remember someone from a year and a half ago (imagine how many R&Rs this woman probably has done with writers since then) is most likely next to none, which might be a good thing to start off fresh. Good luck!

Last edited: