A few questions on Revise and Resubmit

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I got a detailed R&R back in June and have been working on making extensive revisions to the MS (which is what they said they wanted). Anyways, I have a few questions about the process.

1. How long is too long? I see a lot of people saying they resubmitted like three months later. While I'm at the stage where I'm having betas look at the MS, I don't think it'll be ready before the holidays. (I'm so scared to query too close to Christmas). I don't want to rush it, but I also am afraid I am taking too long.

2. What do I say when a resubmit? Do I go into detail about my revisions or give it to them with a reminder of who I am and that this is an R&R?

I really like this agency and want to make sure I'm doing everything right. This is my one shot with them and I don't want to waste it.

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
#2 - Did their details come in an email? If so, I suggest you click Reply to that email, attach your manuscript, and say Here it is with the requested changes. If they gave you the details in an attachment of their own, attach that.

I recently clicked Reply on a year-old email and asked an agent if I could submit my latest project to her (she reluctantly rejected my last one). She said it was lovely to hear from me -- she remembered me, yay! -- and said to send it in.

As for #1, I don't know.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion (and I am not an agent, so my opinion probably doesn't count lol) I think that it should take as long as you need it to take. You want to make sure your MS is at a place you're very comfortable with. If it takes 6 months to a year, you do risk the agent forgetting about it or them maybe finding something similar that they love more. If it takes longer than a year, the agent might worry that that's how long all of your future revisions might take and it would be risky to represent you. But at the end of the day, you want to make sure you're submitting a fine-tuned MS that will hopefully woo the agent.

And I second what tuesday said about the reply. If they sent you the revisions in an email, then just reply to that email with your revised manuscript when you are ready. Maybe apologize for the long delay. Thank them for providing such detailed revision requests and that you took them to heart and attach the manuscript and see if they are still interested in reading it. I wouldn't go into detail about what revisions you did, as the agent probably won't read through that. They just want to see the revised MS and see if it clicks better with them.

Hopefully this helps, and good luck! Getting an R&R is pretty awesome, even if it isn't a guarantee for representation.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't rush. Take your time. Agents are extremely busy and even though it might seem like it, they aren't sitting around waiting for each R&R to come back. Sometimes they don't even remember you had an R&R when you resubmit! It's best to make the book the best it can be and then turn it in when ready.

When you resubmit, keep it simple with a note reminding them who you are and that they requested a R&R is enough. It's very important to remind them because as I said, some agents don't remember especially if it's months down the line. They get so many submissions it's hard for them to keep up so make sure you let them know this is an R&R.

Good luck but word of warning, don't get your hopes up to the point where you'll be too disappointed if this doesn't work out. It's great to be excited but keep submitting to others and don't hang your hopes on this one agency. An R&R "might" be a step closer but nothing is guaranteed until there is an official offer. I've witnessed authors get so excited about R&Rs not understanding it's a common part of the process. It's a good part though so just be positive and keep working. :)

Last edited:

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat, so I'm going to be watching this thread. However, I'll be ready to send the revised MS by the end of next week. Then it will have taken around 3 months longer than I thought it would, in other words, a little short of double the time. I have been in contact with the agent (or: her assistant) along the way to let her know that the revisions became more extensive than I thought, and she always replied promptly and very politely, telling me to take all the time I need, so there's that :) Don't know if I should trust it, though, or if they are going to think worse of me for it X-/

cool pop - it's SO difficult not to get your hopes up! Especially since they have been so communicative along the way, and it's a really big agency and an agent who could live comfortably on the clients she already has. When I get this one out, I'm going to have to brainwash myself into thinking I've already received the "no", or else I'll be devastated when it comes. Oh, who am I kidding, I will be devastated either way. Gah!