Amazon questions

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
If I have an Amazon customer account, but want to self-publish under a pen name, how do I go about that without the pen name/real name getting mixed up? For example, I do not want packages suddenly coming to my house as "pen name" or for product reviews I wrote in 2012 for foot fungus cream to suddenly appear as "pen name." Do I just stay signed in to Amazon as my usual customer account when I try to add a book, or is there a different way people do it?

When creating the file I will upload as my book, should everything be one giant file (cover, copyright page, table of contents, chapters, about the author page) or does Amazon ask you to upload any of those things separately (like the cover) or generate any of them (like the copyright page)? Just trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Open a new account with a different email address to use for publishing on Amazon. Having it connected to your website domain is even better (i.e. AUTHOR @ AUTHORNAME.com)

Re uploading--cover and contents are two different files. The content file should include everything including copyright page, table of contents, etc. etc.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
You should have no issues publishing under your own account. I do, and most authors do. Your pen name is established in the book publication process, and Amazon does not share the identity of the author behind the pen name. All business is transacted under your real name, and your real tax ID number. Your foot cream reviews will not get mixed up with your author alias.

Set up a KDP account, which will be established using your normal account, and you will be guided under the publication process. There are style and formatting requirements that you need to be aware of, so you need to read KDP's guidelines on formatting and submission. In general, KDP's preferred format for ebook submission is a Word file, which is formatted using styles and an automatically generated table of contents will all material inclusive, and a separately uploaded jpeg format cover, or you can use their online cover creation tool.

Good luck, and don't be in a hurry to release a book until you have a good handle on the process and formatting requirements.

EDIT: Re. The suggestion above to open a new account with a separate email. That is perfectly fine, however, you will still have to set it up under your own name and tax ID number.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The only place your pen names are entered is in the record for each book in the space labeled 'author'. You can post books different pen names and they are linked to the books, not the account. You can only have one KDP publishing account. Using your main account IMHO is simpler.

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome thank you!

Another question... if I've written something that is YA, that is under "juvenile" fiction when I have to select "browse" categories, correct? Just want to make sure I'm not getting shelved with the Hungry Caterpillar books while like Kingdom of Ash is someplace else...

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Awesome thank you!

Another question... if I've written something that is YA, that is under "juvenile" fiction when I have to select "browse" categories, correct? Just want to make sure I'm not getting shelved with the Hungry Caterpillar books while like Kingdom of Ash is someplace else...

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect juvenile fiction will in fact get you placed along with Hungry Caterpillar. You might pick out a few YA novels similar to yours on Amazon and see how they are categorized.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

According to the Amazon help, you need at least one juvenile category and to set the age range for your book appropriately. The link is here:

And it says: "For Teen & Young Adult categories on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, set the minimum recommended reading age to 13 – 17 years old. For Amazon.de, set the minimum recommended reading age to 12 – 15 years."