Just In Time for Christmas: TRUMPY BEAR!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't with this. Can't. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Trumpy Bear

"Super-Plush American Grizzly." (Made in China, of course.) And while it looks like an SNL ad, according to Snopes it's for realsies.

Twitter, of course, is having a field day with it.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think they were around last year, around this time.
$50! US$!?
But, the perfect, albeit pricey, gift for dog who chews everything. Or, fun for cat-owners - take out the flag, stuff the hole with catnip, and let your cats tear into it - literally.

Better yet, in the true spirit of the times, wait for the half-price knock-offs. :evil

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I think they were around last year, around this time.
$50! US$!?
But, the perfect, albeit pricey, gift for dog who chews everything. Or, fun for cat-owners - take out the flag, stuff the hole with catnip, and let your cats tear into it - literally.

Better yet, in the true spirit of the times, wait for the half-price knock-offs. :evil

Prices on eBay are wild, ranging from $29.65US to $165US.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
They should make it tax deductible. Or sell it under the counter. To make it more realistic, that is.

-cb

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They should make it tax deductible. Or sell it under the counter. To make it more realistic, that is.

Realism would be promising you a new Trumpy Bear, deliver a sock monkey stuffed with asbestos instead, deny they ever promised you a bear, and then dox you on social media.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Since it's a grizzly, I take it the TeaOP's okay with shooting while it's hibernating... (link)

Saw ads for this a year or two ago. Didn't want to believe it was real. Still don't want to believe I live in a world where this is real.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
If you want realism, it should adopt a trick from the ghastly "realistic" dolls that require nappy changes, so every time the proud owner picks up their Trumpy bear, it shits all over them.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
this feels like it's mocking too hard and being very disrespectful. a big humanity fail here. when can we take the high road and stop badmouthing something whether you like a person or not?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
this feels like it's mocking too hard and being very disrespectful. a big humanity fail here. when can we take the high road and stop badmouthing something whether you like a person or not?

I have no problem with the posts in this thread.

If you have a problem with any post on AW the correct response is to use the
report-40b.png
report post button.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

This is a really great opportunity for someone reading this to examine and understand their privilege. I don't mean that as an insult. Most people with enough privilege to ask others to take the "high road"--and I count myself as a very privileged person--need to have a moment where their privilege is made crystal clear to them. It has certainly happened to me. More than once. I view each and every instance as a learning opportunity.

In this particular case, sitting quietly by, hewing to norms we used to hold sacred, when one of the most powerful people on Earth cares nothing for norms, politeness, respect, a man who openly mocks the disabled, the veteran, those who have lost everything to hurricane, flood, and fire, a man who would transfer the country's treasury to the richest while slamming the door on those in need, who would rather pollute the planet than clean it, whose driving philosophy is not what he can do for others, but what he can do for himself...asking others to stand down, to show respect for such a person, is the height of privilege.

Because for those with nothing to lose, nothing at stake, (speaking generally. I am not saying this is you) it's easy to call for respect. It's a "polite" way to silence those with everything to lose.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

When the person who occupies the White House disrespects our Republic, the Constitution, our Democracy, women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, Democrats, the rule of law, the rules of decency, ANYONE who doesn't suck up to him, our Allies, and much more, then he does not deserve respect.

It isn't about the high road, the low road, or the middle road - it's about Americans standing up for our country.

This trumpy bear thing is a symbol of how he disrespects ALL of the above, and so it will be mocked. Repeatedly, continuously.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Respect is something to be earned, and I don't truck with those who say "respect the position, even if you don't respect the individual." A title is only as respectable as those who hold it, and when someone loathsome is installed, the title doesn't elevate the person... the person diminishes the title. To say otherwise, to value the title so greatly that one overlooks the flaws of the person holding it, not only does a disservice to everything the title itself represents, but also devalues those injured by the title-holder.

I have zero respect for the current POTUS as a human being. If I met him in person, I'd refuse to shake his hand. Should I treat him with deference simply because he bloviated his way into a position of authority? If a serial killer or child rapist somehow managed to became president, would I be expected to "respect the title" as well? Move forward as if everything were normal?

Or should I be angry at him for taking something as important as the position of POTUS and systematically dismantling everything that made it remotely respectable? I haven't been a fan of every president in my lifetime. I lived in Europe in the pre-9-11 George W Bush era and endured any amount of good-natured ribbing about my president being an idiot. However I always felt that, whether I agreed with their methods or not, at a bare minimum the presidents I've lived under understood the gravity of the position they held and did their best to measure up, even if they didn't always succeed as well as I would have liked.

Not this time.

If a doctor performed as abysmally as the current POTUS, that doctor would lose his/her license. A lawyer would be disbarred. Why? Because if they retained their credentials, they'd diminish what it means to be a doctor or lawyer. Every day that he's in office, Trump diminishes what it means to be POTUS, and I'll be damned if I'll hold my tongue and pay false deference to an unworthy leader.

Trumpy bear is a fuzzy abomination befitting the man who inspired it, and mockery is the absolute least it deserves.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

That bear is satire, not defamation.

-cb

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Trump's twitter feed? (not just recently, I'd add).

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I honestly tried to see something cute about it like I do most bears. I couldn't. It looks like a cheap knickknack one finds at a cheap, crowded drug store in a cheap, crowded tourist trap.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, it could be made of the finest materials, and most of us here wouldn’t take one for free. :tongue