What are your legal options if your editor did a really poor job editing your book?

Gunzen

Rozez
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I recently paid an editor over 2k dollars to edit my book, and it is filled with tons of errors and general careless mistakes. I mean HUNDREDS. Misspelled words incomplete sentences, and so many other problems. I told her the problems and she said her contract only guarantees a certain percentage of correction. But I specifically told her I was more interested in grammar and punctuation than content. I feel she stole my money. I don't feel I can even self-publish this (my second book, and I feel helpless. Is there anyone I can report this too?

It is actually embarrassing to even read it. I mean, really ridiculous stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IANAL, but I have a feeling this is the sort of legal question we can't provide assistance with on AW beyond consult any contract you've signed and/or an attorney.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(moved from BR&BC until such time as editor is named)

Alas, yes, we cannot provide you with specific legal advice. As for reporting, is she a member of any editors' association? They might also help you parse your contract. You could also contact Writer Beware. And there's always naming her here, in hope other clients will come forward with their experiences.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
That's a civil matter and you can sue but that's even more expensive.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
You have my sympathy, 2k is a lot of money and you have not got a finished book. No editor would agree to a completely open-ended project for a fixed fee. It is impossible to tell from your post if you have been treated badly. Have a look here Looking for a Book Editor? Here’s How Much You Should Expect to Pay This can only be a rough guide. If you decide the editor has overcharged you, it might be better to try to negotiate with them.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would see this more as a customer rights issue than a legal one. The first step to try would be to express your feeling that you cannot use the edit and will not be using the edit, and request a refund. They may offer to try and make it right by re-doing it for free. There are further steps you can take if that doesn't work but you shouldnt skip making a direct request. It works more often than many people would expect.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
You got [taken] by one of these shady fake editors it sounds like. Did you research the editor beforehand, look up expertise or request samples? If not, always do that. Many legit editors will even offer you a free sample edit of your work to show you their skills. Also, it helps if you can speak to authors they've worked with and if the editor doesn't have a list of clients on her site that's a red flag. Legit editors love showing off clients they've satisfied.

Did you find her on Fiverr perhaps? Stay away from that place unless you do a hell of a lot of research. Be careful with these freelance sites that list editors and do your own research. Don't rely on a site to have the information. You gotta be extra careful because there are many people claiming to be editors who are not and will take your money in a heartbeat.

You can try requesting a refund but I get the feeling this person might be a scam artist and if so you most likely won't get anything back.

Also NEVER pay an editor all the money upfront. :Shrug: I'm assuming you did or you'd have seen how crappy the work was before paying. Always pay a little before and the the rest after you get the work. If they can't agree to that go elsewhere.

Might just have to write it off as a lesson learned unfortunately. Not sure you'll get any money back. Have you posted this woman in the Bewares and Background Section? It would be good to do so others will be warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I recently paid an editor over 2k dollars to edit my book, and it is filled with tons of errors and general careless mistakes. I mean HUNDREDS. Misspelled words incomplete sentences, and so many other problems. I told her the problems and she said her contract only guarantees a certain percentage of correction. But I specifically told her I was more interested in grammar and punctuation than content. I feel she stole my money. I don't feel I can even self-publish this (my second book, and I feel helpless. Is there anyone I can report this too?

It is actually embarrassing to even read it. I mean, really ridiculous stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think you're going to have to chalk this one up to experience.

Good editors don't correct the books they work on. They point out problems, then it's up to the writer to make any corrections. And if you're having to tell her that you want your grammar and punctuation checked, rather than the content of your book, I do wonder if you hired the wrong sort of editor.

It might be worth telling her about your concerns and seeing if she can reach a compromise with you, but I suspect you'll not be able to achieve much--if she's provided you with the edits then she has done her job.