Costumes and War? NY Review of Outlaw King

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
So, this morning I'm scouring the internet for reviews of Netflix's Outlaw King, to see whether its worth signing up just to download, or whether it will just raise the blood-pressure ala Braveheart when I found this little gem:

"Why do moviemakers insist on telling historical stories when they’re really just interested in costumes and war? There’s nothing new about the abbreviated history you find in “Outlaw King,” a monotonous slog through the life and brutally terrible times of Robert the Bruce (1274-1329), a Scottish noble who fought — and fought — the English. At least in old Hollywood, filmmakers would also try to entertain you amid the clashes and post-combat huddles, giving you something more to watch and ponder than this movie’s oceans of mud, truckloads of guts and misty, unconsidered nationalism."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/movies/outlaw-king-review.html

Well, that made me burst out laughing, because I've lost count how many times I've read that novel. :flag::flag::flag:
To tell the truth, when I read books with big set piece battle scenes, I get confused, bored and usually skip about 10 pages. A lot of authors seem to want to tell the reader everything that is happening within the battle, rather than staying with one POV. I think the result of multiple POVs is that the suspense and sense of jeopardy is drained away.

I suppose the reason why US film-makers like stories like Braveheart and Outlaw King is that it fits into the Hollywood TV Trope of the English guys are all villians. But yeah, the story of Bruce has a lot more meat than mud and battles.

Thoughts?
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it on Friday. It's going for more Game of Thrones than Braveheart - the battles are depicted more like the Battle of the Bastards (or the OG gritty medieval battle, Kenneth Branaugh's Agincourt), plus they depict Robert the Bruce straight up murdering John Conyn in the church like a mob hit, along with James "Black" Douglas burning his castle and throwing English soldiers down a well and generally being a (gorgeous) beardy psychopath. They did make Elizabeth de Burgh a major character and spend time on their relationship and what she endured in captivity, as well as his daughter Marjorie.

Oh and *that scene* with Chris Pine in all his glory is blink-and-you'll-miss-it, but the whole movie is beautifully filmed.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll certainly have a watch.

I've been saying for years that I wish someone would write the whole story of The Scottish Wars of Independence (from death of Alexander III to death of David II). Seriously toying with the idea now . . .

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Outlaw King okay, but you have to turn off the historian in your brain telling you how incorrect some of it is. Just like with Braveheart, which is absolutely terribly inaccurate, but still a fun watch, IMHO. I read that they cut Outlaw King pretty heavily and it seems to me that they probably took out the parts I would find most interesting, though I didn't see the deleted scenes or anything. It definitely felt like someone said to a friend, "I'd love to make a historical, gritty movie just like Game of Thrones but with the real people that series is based on. I heard Robb Stark was based on Robert the Bruce...."

All in all, a fine movie, but you're not missing much. Except Chris Pine's dreaminess. That is abundant.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Shadiversity liked it a lot. Not to say that I agree/disagree with him, but he swore up and down that the historical accuracy alone make it worth watching, while fairly pointing out his criticisms (Scots good/English bad among them). Anyhow, I haven't watched it all the way through yet, just bits and pieces. Very muddy, only slightly less so than Holy Grail.

Last edited: