Unsolicited request for review copy from Goodreads member. - Advice?

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
Hello all,

I received a message from a member of Goodreads asking for a review copy of my latest book. He's requesting a mobi version, which is fine with me, since it's no money out of my pocket to send it to him. I messaged back that I would send it, but have a weird feeling about it. I've never had this happen before, with any book that I've had on Goodreads. Is this common?

Out of curiosity, I clicked on his name, and he only has 4 ratings with zero reviews, so he's not a big time reviewer.

Does any of this seem odd?:e2shrug:

Thanks for any advice.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, a little.

When I request a book for review from a publisher, I indicate why I'm interested in the book, and an approximate date when I expect to post the review, with the caveat that unless I think it's a book my readers will be interested in, I won't be posting a review, and I include a link to sample reviews of other books, and where I will post the review, and how/if I will promote it on social networks.

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
Yes, a little.

When I request a book for review from a publisher, I indicate why I'm interested in the book, and an approximate date when I expect to post the review, with the caveat that unless I think it's a book my readers will be interested in, I won't be posting a review, and I include a link to sample reviews of other books, and where I will post the review, and how/if I will promote it on social networks.

Thanks! I sent him an email through my publisher's email asking exactly those questions.

P.S. My fear is that he'll retaliate by posting a one star review without even reading the book:scared:

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I don't give out review copies unless it's to someone on my mailing list. That's the reward for being on my mailing list. I used to give to bloggers back in the day but now I only give to subscribers. I also am cautious who I give books to. It can't be just some random person. If they are a professional reviewer or claiming to be one I will research their info and decide whether or not to do it but I don't give copies to any Tom, Dick and Sally who asks. Never know who you are giving copies to or if they will keep up their end of the bargain with a review.

As others point out, some folks just want free books!

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be the lone dissenter, but I'd just send them the book.

If you get a goodreads rating out of it, it was worth the copy. Even if you don't, you don't leave any negative wake behind, although getting questioned would have made me already abandon the endeavor if I was asking to review.

I gave a PDF away once, and then later found out that this is the easiest way to pirate a book. And then I figured, what does it really matter? The more readers, the better. Anonymity is a far bigger problem for me than piracy. YMMV.

I wouldn't worry about giving out copies. It's just an ebook. And one-stars do happen. If I ever come up with the cure for them, I'll be sure to share it with everyone. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is an outside chance they are emailing authors in bulk to get books to fileshare. I would certainly look on Goodreads discussions and google to see if other authors are asking about the same guy. If not your probably ok.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes review for people who "cold" ask me if the book interests me and the author's GR profile shows they have a history on GR... i.e. they've been around for a while and have written a decent number of reviews for other people, not just ratings, which take two seconds.

I would wonder why someone with zero review history would be cold-asking an author. Does this sound like someone who's really planning on reviewing your book? So why do they want the file?

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to update and say I received a similar message through Goodreads:

(ScreenName) asked
I am interested in reviewing your latest book. Can you please send me a review copy to (email address)? I accept PDF, MOBI and EPUB. I don't have a Kindle Unlimited account. Thanks. Doug

I searched GR by screen name and found the person had zero reviews and only five ratings. Their profile was set to private. So obviously I wasn't sending them anything. When I additionally searched by the email address they sent, it did not appear in GR.