SFWA: Nebula Awards Rules Changes: Associate Members Granted Voting Privileges, Game Writing Award

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Announcement here.

The SFWA Board of Directors and the Nebula Awards Committee are pleased to announce an extensive update to rules for the Nebula Awards®, including the Ray Bradbury and Andre Norton Awards, effective November 15, 2018.

The two most significant rule changes involve an expansion of voting privileges and a new Nebula Award category. Whereas previously, only Active Members of SFWA could vote in the Nebulas, Associate Members are now granted full voting privileges. Game Writing has been added a Nebula Award category. Eligible works are defined as “an interactive or playable story-driven work which conveys narrative, character, or story background.”

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
That's actually pretty cool to see that they're recognizing game writing. There have been some really interesting narratives going on in that space. I've had no issues with seeing stuff in games that I liked and happily ripping it off for my own writing.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Any game (like RPGs) or just video games?

I looked at the membership rules and it doesn't distinguish, except to mention how game writers can determine what a qualifying work is for works where a word count is not possible, "such as work done for a video game". The section is one addressed "for game writers" in general.