Looking for guidance--emergency--wildfire

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
There's a wildfire blazing in northern California right now. It's called the Camp Fire which is ironic because that sounds like a warm little blaze, and this really is NOT.

Paradise, a city of 26k, just burned to the ground. The fire's threatening Chico. They've evacuated Chico State.

I just left Chico. We stayed there for months because we were working on a construction project. I want to help, but I don't know what to do.

I actually live in the foothills outside of Sacramento, so I'm well outside of the fire zone (about a 2 1/2 hour drive, barring traffic). I have thirteen acres, so I can take in large animals like horses. We have two RVs and a spare bedroom that can be pressed into service. I've already called a Catholic church on the north side of Chico (currently outside the evacuation zone) where we went to mass to offer my help. I figure Red Cross is going to be overwhelmed.

It's just...I don't know what to do. My gut response--to throw blankets and clothing into a truck and head up there--seems like it might be unwise. Has anyone tried to help in a situation like this before? I really need advice. Thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah driving into the fire zone seems unwise.

This is where they're advising people to evacuate animals to, so maybe if you can contact someone there, they may be able to tell you if they could use help moving some offsite or if some would be better in a more 'private' area.

Also, maybe look for vets, especially large-animal vets in cities/towns around the affected area and call them to see if they need space or help with evacuation? If you can move/take horses they'd also probably know people who have them but may not have or know someplace to put them, maybe people who are wavering about what to do but would move if they had space.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It's important to contact the volunteer coordinator. Carr Fire is the main one and they are asking people not to self-deploy but contact one of the involved charities. I think the main charities are Red Cross and Salvation Army.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It looks like animal sites are coordinated by North Valley Animal Disaster Group, their hotline is 530 895 0000

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
There's an an Emergency Volunteer Center open at Caring Choices (1398 Ridgewood in Chico). If you're interested in volunteering you can go there or call 530-899-3873.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, cornflake and veinglory.

Be very clear about what level of equine/large animal experience/expertise you have, and what kind of fencing and water supply.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, kitkitdizzi. The church got back to me with the same phone number. :)

Lisa, we have several pastures fenced in field fence, and just the standard hose run to watering troughs. I don't plan on doing much more with the horses besides feeding and watering. This will have to be temporary--I only have shelter for my one gelding, but it should serve for now. Hopefully, the horses are used to outdoor living and have some winter coat, although I do have a couple of horse blankets.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've been checking the reports of this fire over and over during the past few days. The air quality is horrible here in Sacramento, and some local schools have cancelled classes (not the one where I teach, though I'm out sick this week, recovering from surgery). I can only imagine how awful it is closer to the fire. This one hits close to home for me, as a community college instructor, because Butte Community College is in the burn area (I don't know how much damage it has incurred), and many students, staff and faculty are affected.

Not all of us have the means or training to go up there and volunteer in person, but there are numerous organizations that help fire victims, human and animal, need financial support. Here are some I know of.

https://foundationccc.org/What-We-D...YOft93vMI4czOvbVAYj44v-_wXU9vnkcxlQh6TPY8SLH8

https://redrover.org/news/cafires/?...tJcmJbJufrGfavxhqsjJOGDcptPV5b7-59PZhetPvokvw

https://give.ucdavis.edu/VMTH/V6TH631

http://www.opusa.org/

https://www.episcopalrelief.org/pre...fornia-wildfires?category=2017-press-releases

This is a useful article about donating to charities to help wildfire victims.

https://www.consumerreports.org/charities/how-to-help-those-affected-by-california-wildfires/

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a wildfire blazing in northern California right now. It's called the Camp Fire which is ironic because that sounds like a warm little blaze, and this really is NOT.

Paradise, a city of 26k, just burned to the ground. The fire's threatening Chico. They've evacuated Chico State.

I just left Chico. We stayed there for months because we were working on a construction project. I want to help, but I don't know what to do.

I actually live in the foothills outside of Sacramento, so I'm well outside of the fire zone (about a 2 1/2 hour drive, barring traffic). I have thirteen acres, so I can take in large animals like horses. We have two RVs and a spare bedroom that can be pressed into service. I've already called a Catholic church on the north side of Chico (currently outside the evacuation zone) where we went to mass to offer my help. I figure Red Cross is going to be overwhelmed.

It's just...I don't know what to do. My gut response--to throw blankets and clothing into a truck and head up there--seems like it might be unwise. Has anyone tried to help in a situation like this before? I really need advice. Thanks.

They just said today on the news that California has no housing to accommodate all the evacuees, not enough hotel rooms or anything according to the report. If you can house anyone or people in motor homes or animals, it sounds like that would be one of the best things to do for people. The Red Cross should be able to get you in touch with some refugees.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Death toll at the end of Thursday stands at 63 and the number missing at 631. If that latter number is indeed the correct number, this will have been the fourth deadliest wildfire in history. Let's hope it is not that.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Death toll at the end of Thursday stands at 63 and the number missing at 631. If that latter number is indeed the correct number, this will have been the fourth deadliest wildfire in history. Let's hope it is not that.
Some of the missing may well be simply out of touch with their loved ones for now. Still, the death toll is likely to rise. I don't envy the teams who have the job of searching for remains. I can't imagine a worse, if necessary, job. I admire the courage it takes to train for this, as opposed to potentially more emotionally rewarding search and rescue type duties.

On another note, the air quality is horrible all over the valley and into the Bay area today. Here in my neighborhood in Sacramento, we've had air quality indices well over 300 all day, spiking over 400 in some nearby locales. I don't think it's any better tonight. I'm guessing the cool air is creating some kind of inversion layer, which makes it worse than it was last summer, even, with the Carr fire. I've been in bad air from wildfires before, but this is the worst I've ever seen (and breathed).

The local colleges, and many of the K-12 schools, and some private workplaces too (though capitalism being what it is, I'm guessing most service workers are still being forced to come to work), are closed for the rest of the week, and people are driving with headlights in the middle of the day. Even staying home and inside my throat is sore and my chest is tight. It has to be terrible for the people closer to the fires who are living in tents or outdoor shelters and for the people who are working outside in this.

I wonder how many emergency room visits, and possibly deaths, are resulting from the bad air. It makes me think of the great "London Fog" back in the 50s that killed so many people. I'm hoping it is better tomorrow. We may get some rain by Thanksgiving, but relief is needed now, both for the fires and for the air quality.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My cousin's son (second cousin?) is off to fight the Camp fire. He's a fire fighter. They live in Redding that had fires last year.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, the purpleair monitoring site nearest us is now reporting an air quality index of "only" 195 right now, down from well over 300 yesterday. Sad when "very unhealthy" instead of "hazardous" is cause for excitement.

My cousin's son (second cousin?) is off to fight the Camp fire. He's a fire fighter. They live in Redding that had fires last year.

Wishing him the best. And I hope we get some rain soon to make it easier for the firefighters.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How awful. One reason they increased the number of missing to more than 600 came after reevaluating the 911 calls that were received before the town was overrun.

:cry:

They've updated the list, there are more than a thousand people unaccounted for.

NPR

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Let's hope that some of them are people who evacuated quickly, and are too stunned to think to call in. Or, don't have cell phones, and are still on the road.

*If California is running out of places to accommodate fire-refugees, people may have decided not to bother trying nearby, and just keep driving, intending to call in when they actually have a destination.
I hope.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Let's hope that some of them are people who evacuated quickly, and are too stunned to think to call in. Or, don't have cell phones, and are still on the road.

*If California is running out of places to accommodate fire-refugees, people may have decided not to bother trying nearby, and just keep driving, intending to call in when they actually have a destination.
I hope.

Me too. Many of the people being rescued and showing up in shelters are elderly, and some are confused and disoriented. I've seen posts on social media with pictures asking if anyone knows who some of these people are. Even if someone doesn't have advanced dementia, the stress and trauma could bring on such symptoms, which might make it hard for people to find their next of kin. I hope this list shrinks as different shelters and groups establish better communication.

I can only imagine the pain and terror people are feeling when their loved ones are missing.

Last edited: