Oh, my! No, it's not "magic mud" that turns them black forever. Seriously? Good heavens! You say that's a white mythology trope but I'm happy to say I've never heard of it and am deeply appalled that it even exists. No, that incident happens nearly concurrently with their rescue. After they're rescued, they can bathe. The mud is really the minorest of minor plot points. I only brought it up because frimble was concerned about the slaves being black, and the blacks being slaves. I wanted to clarify that that wasn't the case. They were not all black, it was just that most of the light-skinned clan members got picked off first.

Ok, regarding the multitude of ethnicities: Girl A has a Scottish father who does consider himself British. Yes, I do know that not all Scots do. She has a Russian mother who was adopted by American parents. They live in the US, and the girl was born there.

Girl B has parents who are 3rd generation British Indians. Mother's family was Bengali, father's family just "Indian" without getting more specific than that. The couple moved to the US as adults and had their daughter there.

So both families are British, but live in the US. The Fae, once they start crossing over in the storyline, speak British English and some Gaelic. Both Irish and Scottish.

(By the way, do you know Scottish Gaelic? Because I don't, and there's only so far I can get with Google translate and Forvo! I'm looking for someone to consult.)

Snitchcat: yes, my Fae are kinda idealized versions of humans, in some ways. It's a major plot point that although they don't care about skin colors, they do still have racism (against non-Fae races such as dwarves, humans, centaurs, etc) and classism. So they only appear idealized on the surface. My girl character goes there and at first thinks its a utopia... until she gets to know the seedy underbelly of the society, and starts making changes to it. That's kinda the main theme of the plot arc.