Hugh Cook wrote a ten part fantasy series from the late-1980s onwards (The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness) and one of his methods was to describe the different races of people in ways that were not immediately identifiable to me (in part because I was an oblivious teenager who took way too many things literally). For example, he described his Asian cast as having golden skin (for me, that meant metallic), and white people as pale grey, the latter which, when the penny finally dropped, I took to mean pallid skin (think Celtic on a freezing day). Even after I realised what the author had done to describe the various races in his books, I was unable to retroactively translate any of the characters in my mind to skin tones that fit the real world, as I had already mentally embedded his described skin colours mostly as saturated primary colours and the imagery was very vivid to me. He did throw some red herrings in there, too, such as green hair. So far as I can remember, race wasn’t integral to his story, but it was fun to visualise his cast as a multitude of different skin colours. Maybe writing your characters using similar strategies is something to consider if you are trying to avoid giving offence? OTOH, I do wonder if my blindness to Cook’s racial profiles is proof that I was some sort of ignorant white kid who had little experience with other cultures, though in my defence my best friend in kindergarten had been Maltese, which I recall my parents were pretty happy about.