Not sure what to do and losing steam

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a memoir about my teenage depression and OCD that led to a suicide attempt that left me handicapped. Then I'm m oving into my recovery process. The time period is some 11-6 years back for the first two thirds, and my memory of the events is thin - really, just snapshots. I'm unsure of how to write this thing. Help!

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Despite the large number of how to write books available, the best anybody can offer is how they would do it. I would write the strongest memories, not necessarily in any order. When you have a good collection of them you can begin to organise them and give them titles. My school years, for example. You will find you can fill in gaps and recall other important periods. I would also suggest you find another diversion, so you can give yourself a rest.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you just write what comes to you, as it comes to you, you might find that a structure develops out of the writing.

Don't impose constraints on your work if it makes you feel inhibited. Just write.

Consider structures that are non-linear--so, you could alternate scenes from the earlier part of the story with scenes from your recovery, for example.

All you need do right now is get the words down.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
At this point, do you think it might be better to write an "inspired by" novel?