U.S. Legation in Peking - shady dealings by diplomats

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Aloha:

I'm trying to come up with some sort of plausible dishonest and/or illegal activity for an American diplomat posted to the U.S. Legation in Peking in the early 1900s. Ideal would be an activity that could interest the Green Gang (gangsters) in Shanghai at the time. Any ideas?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Drug smuggling? People smuggling? Sale of passports and other papers? Smuggling Chinese antiquities out of the country? Spying for China?

The Boxer Rebellion ended in 1901, I believe, and I don't know what the effect of it would have been on diplomatic relations, or opportunities for shady dealings by the diplomatic corps. But a real crook is not easily deterred.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gun running. Access papers for emigration. Drugs are always good. Green Gang was in charge of opium for many years. Depending on the years, the Green Gang financed Chiang Kai-Shek and his rise to power. Arranging passage of heroin shipments might fall into the diplomat's realm and might be allowed by US administrations as supporting Chiang Kai-Shek.

Jeff

Last edited:

ThunderBoots

Registered
Reaction score
Aloha, Frimble3:

Thank you for your suggestions. US-China relations were temporarily interrupted in 1912 (when the Qing Emperor abdicated his throne). I hadn't thought about that, so I need to take that into account as relations resumed the same year my novel opens with (1913). So thanks, too, for raising the point.

You've got me thinking about the Boxer Rebellion. Perhaps I'll have my character involved with smuggling stolen Chinese antiquities -- i.e., fencing loot from the ransacking of the Forbidden City at the end of the Boxer Rebellion should work.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

ThunderBoots

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Aloha, Jeff:

Thanks for responding to my post. My character won't be in a position to sell emigration documents, but I'll look into gun running to see if it would be a better fit than fencing stolen Chinese artifacts (per Frimble3). Opium plays a role in another part of the novel, so pursuing that would be probably be redundant.

As the novel is set in Shanghai in 1913, the Green Gang is present but Chiang Kai-Shek isn't really on the scene.

Thanks again for your help.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If diplomatic relations had just started up again, I don't know which way his colleagues would react if he was caught: try to hush it up to save the consulate's reputation, or leave him to the authorities to show that they weren't condoning his actions? Don't know if it's needed for your story, but it might be something to consider.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
If 1913 Shanghai, I would suggest opium, prostitution, gambling or extortion.

At the time, Shanghai would have been ruled by criminals, especially the Green Gang; the local law enforcement was disconnected and ineffective.

It sounds like you need to do a lot more research than you already have; I'd recommend looking up "Shanghai 1913", "Sun Yat-Sen" and "Du Yuesheng". You might also find "second rebellion Shanghai 1913" helpful.