Sessions is out

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That's embarrassing. Do they think we're actually ruled out of Washington? Does their voice matter or are they ensuring their voice doesn't matter?
Well, the protest was in front of the U.S. consulate, so I imagine it was the closest they could get to 'Washington'. I think their intention was to take part in the protests and show their support as best they could.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
That's embarrassing. Do they think we're actually ruled out of Washington? Does their voice matter or are they ensuring their voice doesn't matter?

I... don't understand at all why this would be embarrassing. There were protests all over the U.S. This one was just a bit further afield for Americans who happened to be in Canada. And obviously their voices WERE heard, at least a bit, seeing as it made the news.

Unless you mean it could be interpreted as Canada being ruled out of Washington? I don't see how anyone could get that impression from the linked article. The fact that the protesters are American is mentioned right in the title.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
According to The Hill Trump denies knowing Whitaker at all before he appointed him, never spoke to him about the Russia investigation before deciding to appoint him, and chose him only because Whitaker was already at DOJ and had a great reputation in the law enforcement community. (Hannity must have been the reference, assuming anyone at all actually described Whitaker that way.)

If you believe this string of lies, I am sorry to tell you that you are under a curse that has attached itself to your money, and the only way to break the curse is for you to liquidate every asset you have, pack the cash in sturdy cartons and mail it to my PO Box number. I will perform the necessary cleansing ritual. Some or all of your money might be destroyed in the process, but you don't want to live cursed all your life, now do you?

If you are overwhelmed by money in need of decursing, I humbly volunteer to deal with the overflow. Because that's the kind of selfless person I am... (Remember: small, unmarked bills are the easiest kind to clean.) ;)

Dear gods - the fact that there are people who believe the words coming from that man's mouth, when they have no connection to any words that came out before or after, makes me suspect we as a nation and possibly a species are beyond doomed...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I... don't understand at all why this would be embarrassing. There were protests all over the U.S. This one was just a bit further afield for Americans who happened to be in Canada. And obviously their voices WERE heard, at least a bit, seeing as it made the news.

Unless you mean it could be interpreted as Canada being ruled out of Washington? I don't see how anyone could get that impression from the linked article. The fact that the protesters are American is mentioned right in the title.

If they are Americans in Vancouver protesting, fine. But if it is Canadiuans protesting. . . it's sad. It would be a sign that we haven't given up the colonial way of thinking.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they are Americans in Vancouver protesting, fine. But if it is Canadiuans protesting. . . it's sad. It would be a sign that we haven't given up the colonial way of thinking.

So you think Canadians in support of the American people who are not in support of this insane/inane POTUS suggests colonial thinking? :Wha:

As an American terribly distressed by this insane/inane POTUS, I appreciate the effort to let us know we have friends in northern places.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK, it was 50 American protestors, and the protest was organized by a group called 'Democrats Abroad'. Canada may be a democracy, but 'Democrats' is not one of our political groups. There were also 'supporters' of no specified nationality, but I assume that they are of the 'friends, families, co-workers' nature, rather than random Canadians.
Also, there were protests by Americans in other Canadian cities, including Victoria, B.C. (provincial capital). So, in B.C., at least, they had both the financial and the political offices covered.

Also, if Canada wants to make a political protest in Washington, D.C., we can always burn down the White House. Again.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
As tempting as that would be, I shudder to think about the monstrosity *45 would then put in its place.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So you think Canadians in support of the American people who are not in support of this insane/inane POTUS suggests colonial thinking? :Wha:

Now that the comment is explained, I sort of get it, although I'm ignorant enough of the history of Canada to have to ask if the US ever had colonies there.

I will say one thing about Vancouver: it's a major Canadian city very close to the US border, so some cultural cross-pollination isn't unexpected.

Also, given the rapid disintegration of the US government, the possibilities are pretty dire, and it makes sense there are individuals who live near the US border who might have some personal concerns about that. I also imagine, given Ontario, that there are people who might want to highlight us as an object lesson on why right-wing fanatics make bad leaders.

But given that AFAIK the protesters were not Canadians, the comment still seems a bit off-base.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It was. I apologise. I was mixing two debates (a debate elsewhere) and this which I shouldn't have done.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It was. I apologise. I was mixing two debates (a debate elsewhere) and this which I shouldn't have done.
You are a great Canadian, following politics, and apologising for mixing stuff up! We need more people like you.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Now that the comment is explained, I sort of get it, although I'm ignorant enough of the history of Canada to have to ask if the US ever had colonies there.
No US colonies, but there have been border disputes over the years. (Chiefly in the early days, when both countries were expanding, and there were no official borders.)
And there are bits of Atlantic fishing grounds that are still in a sort of grey area. And the Brits gave America the Alaska Panhandle, which should, by any geographical standard, have been ours.
(Disregarding the War of 1812.)

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a lovely catch-22.

White House digging in on selection of Matt Whitaker as temporary replacement for Sessions
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics/white-house-whitaker/index.html

Legal scholars, including several conservatives, also argued that Whitaker's appointment was unconstitutional because he is not a Senate-confirmed administration official. The White House maintains it is on firm legal ground with the Whitaker appointment.

Let me get this right.

Mueller's appointment is not legitimate because it was not approved by the Senate ( clicky ), and yet Whitaker's appointment doesn't need Senate approbation ( clicky) ?

You can't have it both ways, me thinks.

-cb

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Here's a lovely catch-22.

White House digging in on selection of Matt Whitaker as temporary replacement for Sessions
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics/white-house-whitaker/index.html

Let me get this right.

Mueller's appointment is not legitimate because it was not approved by the Senate ( clicky ), and yet Whitaker's appointment doesn't need Senate approbation ( clicky) ?

You can't have it both ways, me thinks.

-cb

You can in Upside Down Land, which is where we currently are.

Alternative facts, alternative logic...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You can in Upside Down Land, which is where we currently are.

Alternative facts, alternative logic...

Remember when we were kids, and someone or other would declare it "opposite day," when everything you said would be the exact opposite of what you meant?

The past two years have felt like "opposite years."

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Couple of legal challenges pending against Whitaker's appointment:

State of Maryland

Under Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Trump administration had stopped defending key parts of the Affordable Care Act in court on the grounds that the law became unconstitutional when Congress repealed the tax penalty for individuals' failure to buy health insurance.

Maryland filed suit against Sessions challenging that position.

But now that Sessions is no longer attorney general, Maryland is buttressing its argument. The state contends that Whitaker was unlawfully named acting attorney general, and so he has no authority to respond to its lawsuit.

Three Senators

The lawsuit, filed by Senators Richard Blumenthal, Sheldon Whitehouse and Senator Mazie Hirono, asks a federal court in Washington to deem the appointment unconstitutional and bar Whitaker from serving as the top U.S. law enforcement official. The senators are members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which customarily reviews attorney general nominations.