Election Day!

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The day is finally here.

I'm reading many accounts on Twitter of very long lines at polling places. (We early voted.)

It looks like my fear of trump concocting some BS emergency, and canceling elections were unfounded (the day isn't over yet.)

I am anxiously awaiting results that obviously won't start coming in until polls close.

This will be one of the most nerve-wracking days I've ever experienced, and probably the most meaningful and important election in my life (I first voted in 1976.)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I admit to feeling pretty grim about this election. It's partly a hangover from 2016, and partly a realistic look at the numbers and how thoroughly the GOP has rigged the system. Then, when the one way to overcome gerrymandering happens--huge voter turnout--the fix is in on the mechanics of actual voting.

BUT, rather than focus on that, I'd like to see and hear, and share, some of the good things to come out of this State of Emergency election.

So...These kids leaving their high school to go down the street to vote was inspiring as heck. Anyone else?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I voted. Now, I hope.

As we learned from The Count of Monte Cristo:

“All human wisdom is contained in these two words -
Wait
and
Hope
” ― Alexandre Dumas

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Voted relatively early. No obvious problems or sabotage that I could spy at my polling place. Now we'll see if my vote actually gets counted.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Voted by mail the other day. If there was a Republican on the ballot, I didn't even notice. Encouraged by the record breaking early voting, but still nervous about this. We have got to make voting easier for everyone.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

On NPR this morning they were talking to some kids whose teacher has taken their class (11-12 year olds) to the local polling place to cheer on the voters and hand out an assortment of "I Voted" badges. The kids were very earnest in their explanations of why voting in midterm elections is so important. I think we're going to have some diligent new voters in a few years.

ETA: As for me, I put my ballot in the mail on Sunday afternoon. Now I just have to wait to find out if Katie Porter can squeak in over the vile Mimi Walters. Polls have had them neck and neck for weeks. Which is rather encouraging, given the redness of CA-45 and the fact that in the last election Walters coasted through with 75% of the vote. I really, really, really hope the last poll I saw, which had Porter in the lead, was accurate.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
My polling place is a library and last time I was there elementary school children were handing out handwritten thank-you notes to voters. It was adorable. I have to absentee vote now, as polling places in my state have to be access but they don't have to have accessible bathrooms. I use paratransportation so even if there aren't lines, I'm there for at least a couple of hours. I miss voting there, but I absentee vote in person at City Hall. Less fun, but it gets the job done.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Voted this morning (I'm in New York) and was pleasantly surprised by the large turnout. I'm not expecting any miracles, but I'm hoping for one or two...

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
For those wanting to follow the many issues (missing cords to power voting machines, wrong ballots distributed, racist invective from poll workers, and so much more), it's all here with updates at Electionland, a twitter feed "Covering access to the vote in real time. Led by @ProPublica with hundreds of newsrooms across the U.S."

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
If Kemp doesn't get prosecuted for election sabotage it will be a complete miscarriage of justice. The widespread and varied ways he is disenfranchising voters right up to this very minute is an international disgrace.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I voted by mail a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm waiting and hoping. I teach tonight, and my students are taking an exam, so it will be hard not to cheat and check the web to see what's happening before I can go home.

I heard on the radio earlier today that people are reporting a higher number of younger people at the polls than is usual. Hopefully this is a widespread trend and a good sign.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
If Kemp doesn't get prosecuted for election sabotage it will be a complete miscarriage of justice. The widespread and varied ways he is disenfranchising voters right up to this very minute is an international disgrace.

What goes around, comes around. News is he had a bit of difficulty voting—his voter card was declared invalid. I haven't heard why, and he finally did get to vote.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
VBM two weeks ago, internet is out at home so I can't check the results till tomorrow.

Maybe for the best.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were about 10 to 15 times more people at the polling station than I've encountered before. LOTS of new registrations while I was there, too. Foot traffic was directed smoothly and efficiently, and I probably spent as much time there tonight as when I voted in the primaries back in August and there was nobody in line.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com

Agreed.

Voted earlier today, now the long, nerve-racking wait.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hadn't paid much attention to the ballot questions in states other than my own. (FWIW, they appear to be overwhelmingly going the way I wanted them to, which is something of a relief.) Took a look at a live results web site and skimmed some of the things that were up in other states.

It's really hard to shake the idea that we're two drastically different countries at this point.