Request for Full Manuscript

Woodpig

Reading, writing, drawing, thinking
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've just had my first request for a full manuscript (after sending the first three chapters with my initial query), and I wonder what other people's experiences/thoughts are about this situation.

First of all, are turnaround times for fulls significantly shorter than for general queries? Does anyone have experience of this?

How big a deal is it? I understand that it shows initial interest, but how much should I read into it?

If I were to be rejected after this point, would I be likely to get more detailed feedback than from a query rejection? Is it considered bad manners to ask?

Again, any shared experiences/thoughts on the above are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Congratulations!!

Turnaround times vary, and even vary for any given agent--an agent might be busy with existing clients' work when they request and simply not have time to look at requested material right away, or they might have a quiet interim just then to look at their requested manuscripts. And while it's certainly promising, don't read anything into it beyond the fact that your manuscript was intriguing enough to garner a full request--so you're doing something right (yay!) but it's only the first step on a long ladder. As to whether you should expect detailed feedback after a rejection, that will also vary; some will give details, while others (who've probably been harassed by badly-behaving authors in the past) will merely give a form letter-style response. Asking for feedback when none has been offered is generally to be avoided.

Keep querying--this is a good sign. :) Good luck!

Woodpig

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Marissa! Yes, I am trying to keep my feet on the ground, but since it came on the back of two rejections, then I'm just wondering how much of a morale booster it really is.

By the way, I should point out, in case it wasn't clear, that the request for full came after submitting the first three chapters with the initial query (I've amended my initial post to clarify this point).

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
"The Daily Rejection" thread has lots of contributors with experience on this. You might ask around over there, also at "The Next Circle of Hell" where authors who've snagged agents are now (ideally) awaiting news of submissions to publishers, which is another -- well, refer to the thread title.

The agent who has my full told me six weeks. That was three weeks ago.

Woodpig

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Tuesday. I was dimly aware of the rejection thread, I think, but not the other. I shall Check them out.

This waiting is abysmal. Pun possibly intended.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Congrats. Getting a full request is the first step. It means you are farther along than you were.

And unfortunately, that's all it means.

As for your questions, you can nudge after four months. Most agents tell you to expect six to eight. A year's not uncommon. Yay, writing.

You might get feedback. You probably won't. It's dangerous to ask, because you don't know where they stopped reading. It could be five pages after the sample you sent. It could be all the way through. it could be at any point in between. So it doesn't hurt to ask, but you also have to understand that if they decide to take you on, you'll have lots of conversations. And if they don't decide to take you on, they'll likely just ignore anything you send them. As much as it feels this way, a full request is not a relationship. It may lead to one, but it's not one yet. Yay, writing.

DON'T STOP QUERYING AND DON'T GIVE EXCLUSIVES!

Again, congrats. It's an awesome feeling that someone wants to read more. No matter hat else happens, don't let anything (not even my downer response) diminish that.

Woodpig

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Whiporee.

6 to 8 months?! Their stated turnaround for queries is 6 weeks, and they stuck to that. I would therefore have thought that they wouldn't take considerably longer for the full if they were interested - would they? I had hoped that things would speed up at that point!

I shan't pester them, obviously, and if they're not interested then there's no magic wand you can wave to change that. And I do understand that a request is not a relationship, I just wondered whether being asked for a full changed what was allowed in terms of requesting feedback. Has anyone here been in that position? That is, an agent passing on a full?

Good point about exclusives. They didn't ask for one, though I haven't told them that I'm also querying other agents - I assume agents will presume that these days. Obviously, I'd keep all agents updated on any offers.

Thanks again for your comments. And good luck with your writing, too!

Woodpig

Registered
Reaction score
Out of interest, I came across these cautionary tales:

THE ROLLERCOASTER OF SUBMITTING YOUR NOVEL TO AN AGENT
WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN A LITERARY AGENT REQUESTS A FULL MS

The general consensus seems to be:
(1) Don't obsess - move on to other things
(2) It's a journey - be prepared for the long haul

Good advice, I think - also the caveat to do with self-publishing too soon (see first link).

Also, I assume that getting a full request after initial submission of a partial is NOT an excuse to nudge other agents?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The general consensus seems to be:
(1) Don't obsess - move on to other things
(2) It's a journey - be prepared for the long haul

Yup, this is good advice. Whiporee is spot-on when they say that a six week full request turnaround can easily and often balloon into six months upwards.

Also, I assume that getting a full request after initial submission of a partial is NOT an excuse to nudge other agents?

Correct! You only nudge if you have an offer of rep in-hand from an agent.

Woodpig

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, EMaree. Yes, that's what I thought. :)